What's new
What's new

Gear not in mesh

Hertz

Stainless
Good afternoon guys. I was running a slightly older CNC lathe, 2002 with fanuc 21i-T controller. In using the manual guide portion of it.
Turning and boring was fine, until I came to the part off part of my program. Machine alarmed and the message said change gears. I realized when I was programming, that I left the gear to auto.
So I hit reset, and went into the parameters to change it to stay in high gear. Well I guess I shouldn't have hit reset, because now I'm getting the error that gear is not in mesh. Is there an easy fix for this besides opening up the headstock and poking around?

Attachments

• 20220825_132218.jpg
    20220825_132218.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 8
If alphonso's suggestions don't work, find out how the gear change is done. Is there a solenoid you can bump to put things back? Of course, be very careful when overriding the machine like that.

I tried all that, nothing was working. Turns out, m41 and m42 are the control gear change, and there is also a manual gear change. Because the program called for low gear, it switched in the program, hence why it stopped and asked to put it in low gear on the physical lever. Apparently all that is happening when it says the gears are not meshed is that the control is in low gear while the physical control is in high gear or vice versa. I just had to punch in m41 to switch the gear back in the control. Thankfully an easy fix.

Back