What's new
What's new

Gen Z in the workplace Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mis understand my post if that is what you think I said. Lots of people want to live in starter homes, but starter homes are not being built. Find the latest development in Naples FL, what are the homes? Certainly not 1k sq ft houses. Lack of supply increases prices due to unmet demand.

I used to live in Lakewood CO, we moved from there because we did not like the cost of living. If you don't like the cost of living in Naples, why stay? It's a big country. Opportunity abounds. If you choose to stay, then you choose to stay.

$435k will buy you a nice house with acreage in Ohio, but who the F wants to live in Ohio? Hmm... seems supply and demand at play again. A couple in our homeschool group moved from California. They sold their small "piece of crap" house for $980k, paid off the bank, bought 30 acres in Ohio and are building a house.

I wasn't referring to your post, which I agree with, but Ox's statement of "just consume less" or "just be happy with less"... Sure, it's a valid point, up until the point where it's not.

There are actually lots of 1K sqft houses being built by me right now. They're townhomes, so you share walls and floor/ceilings with neighbors.... They start in the $270K range. Keep in mind, we're in the middle of the Everglades, this is not Naples proper, we're 45 minutes from anything. That said, at least if someone had the down payment to get one of these, they'd still be paying less than renting the same square footage apartment that I posted above.
1716313955234.png

So what I find hilarious that in the thread with the title it has, despite some side junctures, has proven that somehow all of us ...are essentially on the same page. All these articles etc are all bullshit. I have said it here and will say it again, the large corporations do NOT want to train these kids. They want a cult mindset. They only pay more when the other companies are gaining on the hiring process or the next union contract went into effect down the street.
They are lying to 4yr college grads with engineering experience to try to level them up fast, to get them to take supervisor roles to make them feel special all the while they have no idea what they are doing because they are fresh out of school and don't realize yet why the guy retired earlier or changed careers. The smart ones get out. So Gen Z not wanting supervisor roles, yeah...they know it's horrible, doesn't pay well, or they no it's just a game and they are honest with themselves about their experience and say no.

And true leadership will never be allowed to get into the positions to fix what is broken because of the cult and CEO.

In our one stop-light town, a second starter home is on it's way up currently, on the site of our old skewl.

Anywhere in Fla is artificially high as it is a retirement state.
Move to Alabama or Miss for something similar but cheaper.

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Where I live, the city's goal is to "build up, not out to avoid urban sprawl". The result is the market being flooded with condos in recent years, which is great if you are downsizing or don't have kids

I bought a 850 sqft 2 bedroom condo in 2014 for $230,000. In 2021 we had our 2nd kid so we needed a bigger space. In 2021 there were so many empty condos that I had to settle for selling at $180,000 just to be able to get out of there. Not even enough to cover what I still owed on my morgtage let alone the realtors cut and lawyer fees.

Everybody wants single detached homes but the city doesn't want them to be built. The city I live in is basically in the middle of nowhere so its not like the size is limited by geography.

Buying high and selling low seems to be my specialty.

In 1952 my grandfather and grandmother bought 2 acres and a 2 bedroom ranch house for supposedly $9,000. He was a machinist at Freitag, working 12 hrs a day 7 days a week running a Devlieg. He raised 3 girls in that house, and lived there until he died.

There is nothing comparable available today, for a multitude of reasons. Consumer demand is for palatial homes, not "starter" homes. Government intrusion in the market prevents the construction of "starter" homes. Inflation is of course pervasive, which is why one of a multitude of reasons the government should not be allowed influence in the economy.

I am of the belief that the economy is not a "zero sum" as has been demonstrated without a doubt by the expansion and improvement of the world economy in the last 150 years. The Jones's do not need to suffer any change in lifestyle for me to improve.

Humanity has always been restricted by barriers and thus far has always found ways to break those barriers. Malthus stated we had reached the limit of food production as food production was linear. He could not imagine the farms and productivity we have today. Today we produce so much food that much of it goes to waste due to government intervention in the market.

Today we have such pervasive government intrusion that many of those markets are disrupted. 30 years ago a friend of mine produced a product that he shipped all over the world. Today a multitude of licenses and permits would be needed to export the same consumer good.

As mentioned earlier in this thread by Ox, it is amazing when the government magically wipes away red tape in an "emergency" how quickly things can be accomplished. Attend your local city council meetings, and I am willing to bet a 6 pack, that a year does not go by when they don't vote "emergency" powers to get something taken care of to circumvent the bureaucracy. Their own bureaucracy. Instead of eliminating it, they simply circumvent it. This is one difference between the Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z that I do not understand. Boomers and Gen X seem to say, those rules exist, but don't apply to me, or just ignore them as if they are aloof. Millennials and Gen Z seem to say, if the bureaucracy is a waste, and either no one follows the rules or they hate the rule, remove the rule.

The net zero that I ref is that neither you, nor the Jones's can $pend more than you take in.
So, for things to go up in price, then the average Joe must have more to $pend on it.

Cost of goods is nothing more than the labor to produce plus supply/demand.
Reduce either/both and the price will come down.

There is essentially nothing that you can $pend $ on that does not come down to the cost of labor with demand supplying the profit margin. And open competition keeps demand fees in check. And the available labor pool drives the cost of labor.

If everything has gone up, and you are falling behind, then you need to figger out another path. B/c others seem to have enough to move the markets up.

I agree that we are likely in an artificial run-up market, and it will level out in time. But if you can't wait 'till then to buy that thing, then you are part of the run-up market demand. And we ARE talking on the World Stage here, not just local.

----------------------

Well said, both of you.

Ox, One thing I would add. Empower is right about the debt, there are endless options for it these days. On my way home from work last night I heard a radio commercial for some "factory furniture outlet" store; they were offering 60 month financing for a sofa!

I've been looking for a new mower, a well built commercial unit. They are $10-16k for a freaking lawn mower! Ahh, but the mfr's all offer 60 month 0% financing, you do have to pay $2-3k more of course because you cannot negotiate the cash price. I spent quite a bit of time researching the various options. They all have the same engines, hydro pumps and wheel motors, same everything basically.

I'd bet the Mfr's are making 400% profit on each unit. Like you said ox, they are priced at what the market will bear, not what they are actually worth. The market will bear higher prices when the customer has the ability to become indebted and if everyone in that industry does exactly the same thing; well, those are your options. $12,420 for a lawn implement becomes just $207/m.o. and hey, no interest so it's free money right?

These companies have resale prices down to a science at this point and they use every avenue available to maximize profit.

2008 was supposedly caused by banks giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them. Now it is not only homes, it's everything people buy. Max out the prices and offer financing until everyone is a perpetual debt slave, never actually owning anything.

My point being that this trend is skewing the data. People cannot actually afford to "buy" the things they aquire, except to continue paying on them until the thing is 50% or more through it's useful life.

You are right about the solution. If people stop buying things they don't need, use up, wear out and repair the things they have, money would go much further. It doesn't change the fact that the things we all have to buy are overpriced, but it does give people more money. More money = more options.

Just b/c Joe can't manage his money, doesn't mean that someone needs to pay him more.
It just means that Joe can't manage his money.

IM/HO - Rent'a center is the biggest suck on the poor. But those people will always be poor.
Even if they win the Power Ball, they will be poor in record time.
Those people will always exist.

I bet you can find oodles of smaller TV's for nigh free on Marketplace, but since you can rent a 65" for $20/week, let's go big or go home!
Those people will never "own" anything in their life, and no Gov [hand-out] program will change that.

------------------

In our one stop-light town, a second starter home is on it's way up currently, on the site of our old skewl.

Anywhere in Fla is artificially high as it is a retirement state.
Move to Alabama or Miss for something similar but cheaper.

--------------------

Single family housing costs depend a whole lot on property taxes, quality of public school, crime and availability of grocery shopping and medical, and even jobs.
Below market pricing usually means it's a shitty place to live and work.
Nice place to live and work means high prices.
At least that's the way it seems to go in SE Wisconsin.

Catch with conjoined townhouses and high rise is that some scumbag owns the building maintenance contract ,and rips off all the unit owners on maintenance costs ...which they are often obliged to pay by law ,and legally constitute a charge over the dwelling..................Even where the maintenance is handled by a board of owners ,costs are outrageous ,due to everything being done by contractors.

From what Ive read ,2008 was caused by gambling in financial markets with a product called CFDs ........since 2008 ,governments have reacted by allowing mass money printing /creation causing runaway inflation .

My sisters MIL sold real estate in Michigan in the 1980's. She sold starter homes to young couples starting out. She said in winter their heating bill could be more than the mortgage. In California, if you live in a big city, it is warm enough in winter you can survive with no heat, there are no big cities where it gets cold enough to snow. Californians have enough brains to not live there. We just visit on a snow trip.
BilLD

Anyone can find somewhere where housing and crap is stupidly cheap. But nobody seems to want to talk about the fact that those places are cheap because there is NOTHING there and no opportunity what so ever, oh and hours drive from anywhere.

Ox is right there are people who are terrible with money no matter how much they have. There will always be those people.

Everyone seems to get lumped in with those guys.

What I am seeing where I live is the opposite. I see people who save, who work long hours, who lower their debt burdens. People who do everything right. But the goal posts keep getting moved further and further away.

A great example. The son of a guy I used to work with. Really entrepreneurial kid. Has his hands in lots of stuff whether it be firewood, delivery truck driving (he brought a little truck from the firewood deal) and lots of other stuff. Real go getter kid. He wanted to buy a house and had saved tens of thousands for a deposit. But every time he hit the deposit level he needed the house prices had risen more which required more and more deposit.

Great saver, great worker, but the barrier to entry just got higher and higher and higher.

New Zealand has always been notorious for expensive houses ......even back 40 years ago ,when you could buy a house in Oz for $20k ,NZ houses were triple that.

There are many reasons for that. One big one is that housing is left upto developers. What developer wants to sell cheap mass produced housing? I keep saying that people need to look at what they did in the USA after the war where they built thousands of tract homes all at once. But nobody who has money involved would support a flooded market.

Also many are afraid of population . We are a country bigger than the United Kingdom. But our population is less than Melbourne, Australia.

Anyone can find somewhere where housing and crap is stupidly cheap. But nobody seems to want to talk about the fact that those places are cheap because there is NOTHING there and no opportunity what so ever, oh and hours drive from anywhere.

Well, those of us that were born here, prefer it that way.

-----------------

Well, those of us that were born here, prefer it that way.

-----------------

I can only speak for my own personal experience. The town where I live here in New Zealand used to be economically prosperous. Active busy port, lots of industry. But it all went away. Now we have people who don’t want growth and change because they are trying to maintain a lifestyle. I am 5th generation in my town. I want it to grow and prosper and be a place where people can be something and make a good life.

That's a tough gig if your town is there for one reason, and then that reason is gone.
At that point, it needs to either find a new gig or three (your preferance) or to become a retirement/vacation destination and exploit that.

--------------

That's a tough gig if your town is there for one reason, and then that reason is gone.
At that point, it needs to either find a new gig or three (your preferance) or to become a retirement/vacation destination and exploit that.

--------------

Currently the town is having an issue of sustainability. Meaning that there just outright isn’t enough money to pay for everything without raising taxes to unaffordable levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back