What's new
What's new

Gen Z in the workplace Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that really gets in my nerves is where a person will be working full time. Working their butt off and struggling. So someone will say “get a second job” “work more hours”. Don’t they realise that if everyone does that then it will become normal and suddenly everyone will just be expected to have multiple jobs and work stupid hours.

Nobody is ever going to say “people are working too hard to barely survive if at all, I’m going to lower my prices”. Nobody is ever going to say “wages need to go up for my workers so that they don’t need to work as hard”.

But the reality is that is what actually needs to happen.

Well, if someone wants to work less, then all they need to doo is consume less.

Pay is a valuation of what your time is worth to others. They don't need to pay more if their business doesn't justify it. If what someone else is will to pay another isn't enough, the other can go elsewhere if they can find a better deal elsewhere.

If you don't want to work like the Jones's, don't consume like the Jones's.
It's really that simple.

I don't understand the issue?

-----------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Last edited:
One thing that really gets in my nerves is where a person will be working full time. Working their butt off and struggling. So someone will say “get a second job” “work more hours”. Don’t they realise that if everyone does that then it will become normal and suddenly everyone will just be expected to have multiple jobs and work stupid hours.

Nobody is ever going to say “people are working too hard to barely survive if at all, I’m going to lower my prices”. Nobody is ever going to say “wages need to go up for my workers so that they don’t need to work as hard”.

You gotta find some light in your life brother, too much nihilism will suck the fight out of a man.

Times are tough for sure but it could always be worse. As for everyone choosing to work 2 jobs... no way that happens. If everyone was that determined and concerned about building a better life, we wouldn't have the mess we're in now.

The two main concerns of western civilization today are 1.) Security and 2.) Comfort. This is the reason that the WEF can say "by 2030 you will own nothing and be happy." They are not wrong either. The majority will fit that mold because everything else is too hard.

"What's the point in struggling to get ahead when I'm just going to lose anyway?" It's a common saying these days but it's total b.s.
Growth is not linear and if you get up and fight when everyone else is laying down, guess who starts winning pretty darn quick?

You gotta find some light in your life brother, too much nihilism will suck the fight out of a man.

Times are tough for sure but it could always be worse. As for everyone choosing to work 2 jobs... no way that happens. If everyone was that determined and concerned about building a better life, we wouldn't have the mess we're in now.

The two main concerns of western civilization today are 1.) Security and 2.) Comfort. This is the reason that the WEF can say "by 2030 you will own nothing and be happy." They are not wrong either. The majority will fit that mold because everything else is too hard.

"What's the point in struggling to get ahead when I'm just going to lose anyway?" It's a common saying these days but it's total b.s.
Growth is not linear and if you get up and fight when everyone else is laying down, guess who starts winning pretty darn quick?

Don't take what I say as negatively. Personally I am very positive. I will quit when I am dead and will find some way no matter what to achieve my goals. Nobody will get in my way.

My comments are more societal commentary.

Well, if someone wants to work less, then all they need to doo is consume less.

Pay is a valuation of what your time is worth to others. They don't need to pay more if their business doesn't justify it. If what someone else is will to pay another isn't enough, the other can go elsewhere if they can find a better deal elsewhere.

It's really that simple.

The issue is, that's all bullshit.

The fact is, things like real estate are something like 4X to 10X the cost it used to be based on inflation adjusted wages.

There's only so much less you can consume before there's no fat left.

Then there's the issues like zero hours contracts and other tricks to reduce full time employment with its benefits.

Make no mistake, I've got mine so there's nothing affecting me personally. But that fact doesn't blind me to the actual costs that apply to people starting out today. We had it waaay easier.

PDW

as fucked up as it sounds, neither the world, nor anyone in the world owes you or me anything. its up to each and every one of us to achieve what we want/need.

This quote should be on the wall of every shop. Might be on mine soon.

as fucked up as it sounds, neither the world, nor anyone in the world owes you or me anything. its up to each and every one of us to achieve what we want/need.

It’s not so much about who is or isn’t owed anything, but more about maintaining a functioning society.

Humanity chose to put a price tag on everything we need to survive. So we have to make it all work one way or another.

It’s not so much about who is or isn’t owed anything, but more about maintaining a functioning society.

Humanity chose to put a price tag on everything we need to survive. So we have to make it all work one way or another.
everyone's going to have a different definition of a functioning society, nobody will ever agree on it. therefore it is impossible to achieve it. do i think we have a perfect functioning society? fuck no, can we do better? of course, now convince 8 billion other people to try to make it better...

It's really that simple.

And therein lies the problem of the inflation mess we're in (thanks to Covid and runaway government spending): the middle class and below are cutting back to consuming mainly the basics, yet are still having trouble making ends meet.

High inflation is so damaging to our way of lives, we need to do better next time to prevent stoking the flames.

And it takes a long time to recover some semblance of balance after an inflation shock, most people lose years of economic advancement in their lives.

ToolCat

So, some of you are under the impression that if the Jones's can get by with all the big nice stuff at their work schedule, that the Smith's can't get by on less work by not having the nice new house and new cars? Not taking big vacations? Not paying for their kid's college? Not raising their grandkids? Not going out to eat every other day?

Maybe I need to explain "net zero" daffynition?

---------------------

In 1952 my grandfather and grandmother bought 2 acres and a 2 bedroom ranch house for supposedly $9,000. He was a machinist at Freitag, working 12 hrs a day 7 days a week running a Devlieg. He raised 3 girls in that house, and lived there until he died.

There is nothing comparable available today, for a multitude of reasons. Consumer demand is for palatial homes, not "starter" homes. Government intrusion in the market prevents the construction of "starter" homes. Inflation is of course pervasive, which is why one of a multitude of reasons the government should not be allowed influence in the economy.

I am of the belief that the economy is not a "zero sum" as has been demonstrated without a doubt by the expansion and improvement of the world economy in the last 150 years. The Jones's do not need to suffer any change in lifestyle for me to improve.

Humanity has always been restricted by barriers and thus far has always found ways to break those barriers. Malthus stated we had reached the limit of food production as food production was linear. He could not imagine the farms and productivity we have today. Today we produce so much food that much of it goes to waste due to government intervention in the market.

Today we have such pervasive government intrusion that many of those markets are disrupted. 30 years ago a friend of mine produced a product that he shipped all over the world. Today a multitude of licenses and permits would be needed to export the same consumer good.

As mentioned earlier in this thread by Ox, it is amazing when the government magically wipes away red tape in an "emergency" how quickly things can be accomplished. Attend your local city council meetings, and I am willing to bet a 6 pack, that a year does not go by when they don't vote "emergency" powers to get something taken care of to circumvent the bureaucracy. Their own bureaucracy. Instead of eliminating it, they simply circumvent it. This is one difference between the Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z that I do not understand. Boomers and Gen X seem to say, those rules exist, but don't apply to me, or just ignore them as if they are aloof. Millennials and Gen Z seem to say, if the bureaucracy is a waste, and either no one follows the rules or they hate the rule, remove the rule.

The net zero that I ref is that neither you, nor the Jones's can $pend more than you take in.
So, for things to go up in price, then the average Joe must have more to $pend on it.

Cost of goods is nothing more than the labor to produce plus supply/demand.
Reduce either/both and the price will come down.

There is essentially nothing that you can $pend $ on that does not come down to the cost of labor with demand supplying the profit margin. And open competition keeps demand fees in check. And the available labor pool drives the cost of labor.

If everything has gone up, and you are falling behind, then you need to figger out another path. B/c others seem to have enough to move the markets up.

I agree that we are likely in an artificial run-up market, and it will level out in time. But if you can't wait 'till then to buy that thing, then you are part of the run-up market demand. And we ARE talking on the World Stage here, not just local.

----------------------

Agree with everything you said, BUT:
The net zero that I ref is that neither you, nor the Jones's can $pend more than you take in.

Yes, but no.

One of the reasons we see the increases we do in both cost and demand. With both "Time-Money" and Inflation we see the effect that the money has far more value today, even though in absolute terms you pay a higher price in the long run, that higher number has less value.

This has detrimentally skewed the market, and will continue to.

I know that the total debt has gone up.
But that's not really a good scale to work from.

I would be more interested in how much debt to income ratio has changed, if at all.

Going strictly off of the total, is akin to rating hurricane strength by the cost of rebuild. When there is more in the way now than ever before, as well as the value of each has gone up. These two fields of the equazsion completely skew the outcome. But the other number just isn't news (alarmist) worthy.

--------------------

So, for things to go up in price, then the average Joe must have more to $pend on it.

Cost of goods is nothing more than the labor to produce plus supply/demand.
Reduce either/both and the price will come down.

There is essentially nothing that you can $pend $ on that does not come down to the cost of labor with demand supplying the profit margin. And open competition keeps demand fees in check. And the available labor pool drives the cost of labor.

If everything has gone up, and you are falling behind, then you need to figger out another path. B/c others seem to have enough to move the markets up.

I agree that we are likely in an artificial run-up market, and it will level out in time. But if you can't wait 'till then to buy that thing, then you are part of the run-up market demand. And we ARE talking on the World Stage here, not just local.

----------------------

of course you can, have you heard of credit?

lol "nobody will live in a small starter home"....

You mean like this piece of crap that was the first house we lived in that my Dad owned? The one he paid $40K for and sold for $80K? That'd be a great starter home....

1716311350459.png

Well, surely the youngsters can just rent a place, nobody NEEDS to own a home?

Sure, this 1k sqft apartment that I rented for $1200/mo is now $2469/mo. Almost half again my mortgage.
1716311472561.png

Guess they just need to eat less avocado toast and buy some bootstraps.

lol "nobody will live in a small starter home"....

You mean like this piece of crap that was the first house we lived in that my Dad owned?

You mis understand my post if that is what you think I said. Lots of people want to live in starter homes, but starter homes are not being built. Find the latest development in Naples FL, what are the homes? Certainly not 1k sq ft houses. Lack of supply increases prices due to unmet demand.

I used to live in Lakewood CO, we moved from there because we did not like the cost of living. If you don't like the cost of living in Naples, why stay? It's a big country. Opportunity abounds. If you choose to stay, then you choose to stay.

$435k will buy you a nice house with acreage in Ohio, but who the F wants to live in Ohio? Hmm... seems supply and demand at play again. A couple in our homeschool group moved from California. They sold their small "piece of crap" house for $980k, paid off the bank, bought 30 acres in Ohio and are building a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back