What's new
What's new

Generating DXF From Spline Dimension Data

racing240

Plastic
Hello,

I am a student on a formula SAE EV team. I have the external spline shaft, RCV FSAE Miata Outboard Tripod Housing, and have the spindle which I need to cut an internal spline into. Below is the data for the external spline

ANSI standard B92.2M-1980 (B92-2Ma-1984)
26 Involute Splines
1 Mod
45° Pressure angle
Class 5 fit

I have found the dimensions for the internal spline from the ANSI standard B92.2M-1980 (B92-2Ma-1984) and now need to make a DXF file for our machinist to input into the EDM machine to cut the splines. I am currently trying to use MITCalc's Shafts Connection using Keys and Splines extension to generate the spline DXF but I am not sure I am doing it correctly. Mainly with validating if the DXF is correct. Any help would be appreciated!

have you checked the Machinery's Handbook?

Involute Splines section

gives you the math and pictorials to model the splines.

make a solid then extract the dxf from that.

Hello,

I am a student on a formula SAE EV team. I have the external spline shaft, RCV FSAE Miata Outboard Tripod Housing, and have the spindle which I need to cut an internal spline into. Below is the data for the external spline

26 Involute Splines
1 Mod
45° Pressure angle
Class 5 fit

I have found the dimensions for the internal spline from the ANSI standard B92.2M-1980 (B92-2Ma-1984) and now need to make a DXF file for our machinist to input into the EDM machine to cut the splines. I am currently trying to use MITCalc's Shafts Connection using Keys and Splines extension to generate the spline DXF but I am not sure I am doing it correctly. Mainly with validating if the DXF is correct. Any help would be appreciated!

last place I worked we EDM'd quite a few internal splines. We always ran the first part out of 1/16 material to make sure the shape was correct.

Last edited:
You can do a basic check of dxf file by printing on paper 1::1. Do both parts on separate sheets and compare like tracing.

You can do a basic check of dxf file by printing on paper 1::1. Do both parts on separate sheets and compare like tracing.
This can work okay BUT before you trust it, print a square. Check the sides to make sure it's exactly the same in both dimensions. Lots of printers and print drivers are not accurate, they just scale to the paper, so you have to adjust them otherwise your print will be distorted.

If you're using solidworks, use an equation driven curve, you input the base circle, pressure angle, etc right into the control sketch.

Hello,

26 Involute Splines
1 Mod
45° Pressure angle
Class 5 fit
Hello racing240: are you SURE the Mazda Miata CV axle has B92.2M-1980 module = 1 mm with 45˚ pressure angle? The spline generator mentioned in this thread does NOT generate a valid tooth profile for that angle (only for 30˚). Asking because I bought the aftermarket Mazda Miata CV axle today and trying to design an internal spline for it.

Hello racing240: are you SURE the Mazda Miata CV axle has B92.2M-1980 module = 1 mm with 45˚ pressure angle? The spline generator mentioned in this thread does NOT generate a valid tooth profile for that angle (only for 30˚). Asking because I bought the aftermarket Mazda Miata CV axle today and trying to design an internal spline for it.
I'm pretty sure he would have found out by now, post is March 22. :D

Back