What's new
What's new

Gerstner clone.....Again

bhigdog

Stainless
I've posted a few Gerstner type boxes I've made. They were mostly similar except for the type wood and grain. I wasn't planning to make anymore but I was re-stacking one of my wood piles when I stumbled on a few long forgotten rough cut cherry boards I'd picked from a local mom and pop saw mill near me maybe 20 years ago. A closer look and a quick surfacing showed they were nicely figured curly cherry. I wanted to do something with them before they ended up in a wood stove so I made one more box.
I spent a lot of time selecting and arranging the grain pattern and I'm OK with the result.
With the flamboyant grain, brass hardware, and red felt it might be a bit over the top but I like it.
I still have to make the top lid mirror frame for it.........Bobcb1.jpgcb2.jpgcb3.jpgcb4.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted a few Gerstner type boxes I've made. They were mostly similar except for the type wood and grain. I wasn't planning to make anymore but I was re-stacking one of my wood piles when I stumbled on a few long forgotten rough cut cherry boards I'd picked from a local mom and pop saw mill near me maybe 20 years ago. A closer look and a quick surfacing showed they were nicely figured curly cherry. I wanted to do something with them before they ended up in a wood stove so I made one more box.
I spent a lot of time selecting and arranging the gain pattern and I'm OK with the result.
With the flamboyant grain, brass hardware, and red felt it might be a bit over the top but I like it.
I still have to make the top lid mirror frame for it.........BobView attachment 366931View attachment 366932View attachment 366933View attachment 366934
Boy, that thing sure will hold a lot of makeup.

Very nice! I wouldn't want it out on the shop floor, but it would be gorgeous in an inspection area.
I've made 7 or 8 variations of them. One I kept for myself is the only one I know for sure is holding "tools" in a shop. My wife has my old Gerstner 042 she keeps her hobby stuff in. One ended up keeping gun stuff and another fly tieing gear. One guy keeps his weed in his.............Bob

Seems like an insult to keep "weed" in a nice box like that. you do great work. I'd like to try it sometime, but good wood is terrible expensive around here. Not saying my expertise would match my ambition. There's that.

Seems like an insult to keep "weed" in a nice box like that. you do great work. I'd like to try it sometime, but good wood is terrible expensive around here. Not saying my expertise would match my ambition. There's that.
I just looked on line and some curly cherry was listed at about $30/bf. For a box you need about 20/bf to account for waste and grain matching. I paid a buck a foot for that stuff but that was green and 20 years ago........Bob

A work of art.
If you don't covet that tool box, you're not a tool and die maker.

Just WOW!

(P.S. is it for sale?)

A work of art.
If you don't covet that tool box, you're not a tool and die maker.

Just WOW!

(P.S. is it for sale?)
Thank you. I gave most of the ones I made away. I did make a trade once for a few thousand rounds of ammo back when it was hard to get. I think I'll keep this one for myself.............Bob

I spent a lot of time selecting and arranging the grain pattern and I'm OK with the result.
I still have to make the top lid mirror frame for it.........BobView attachment 366931View attachment 366932View attachment 366933View attachment 366934
That is pretty amazing! I don't covet the box, I am in awe of your skills and supplies, and I just try not to drool as I look at it! WOW!
Hell who am I fooling? You want to adopt? I'm not that young, but can be pretty immature at times! LOL! :)

I have no doubt that it would draw even more appreciation, dollars-wise, if you were to take it in to a very high end Jewellery (Birks, etc) place to be used as a jewellery box. I suspect that the retail price they would sell it at would leave you wondering how many more you had in you to make!

Just sayin'! If you were 'charity' minded, it would be a most amazing object to donate as a fundraiser, provided it was going some place with enough exposure to do it justice!

I usually just give them away but I've pretty much run out of family and friends. I'm thinking I'll just put this one in my space and look at it for awhile. Thanks for your thoughts. They're appreciated................Bob

I usually just give them away but I've pretty much run out of family and friends. I'm thinking I'll just put this one in my space and look at it for awhile. Thanks for your thoughts. They're appreciated................Bob
Y'know, I kinda doubt my woodwork will ever reach that stage, but man, seeing the stuff that is as well made as that is, is just a jolt of pure inspiration to do better each time!

Y'know, I kinda doubt my woodwork will ever reach that stage, but man, seeing the stuff that is as well made as that is, is just a jolt of pure inspiration to do better each time!
Thank you, but like most everything it has a wart or two if you know where to look...........Bob

Back