What's new
What's new

Gib Adjustments and the Ballscrew

sdstncl

Plastic
So recently I was tasked with adjusting the Gibs along all Axes of our Mill as it hadn't been done recently. There are 4 gib screws that need to be adjusted along the X-axis specifically, and according the gib adjustment video made for the machine, you are supposed to work your way outwards when adjusting them. Which I did. However, after attempting to jog the table along the X-axis, the ballscrew started to act up and make noises, which it's not supposed to do. It's important to specify that the noise being made is not due to the gibs being too tight, those noises are very distinct from each other. Additionally, traversal along the X- axis in the positive direction makes a noise but moves smoothly. However, when I traverse along in the negative direction, the table stutters sometimes when moving while still making the noise.
Was it possible that the gibs were too loose and somehow messed up the ballscrew with the balls inside the ballnut housing? Or did something else happen that I don't understand? Any help would be great!

It's less than a year old but has gone through a lot of maintenance. It's a HX 8610 Vertical Milling machine from Lead Industries. It's a desktop mill

From here: HX8610 Vertical Machining Center | Leading Edge Industrial

It seems to say these are not ball, but ACME thread/bronze nut screws. Were actual ball screws added afterwards, or as an OEM upgrade?

Regardless, while not a total toy, it's still a very light duty machine that's not really in the "ecosystem" for this forum. I would contact the manufacturer and try to get support from them as to figuring out why there's issues, but the most likely source is a misalignment caused by the adjustments you've made. Should be fixable unless surface damage has been done to the ways.

I watched the You Tube show.
Do it this way. With an indicator. Not by feel. I would say you need .0005" lost motion or, push release read .0001" or .0005" indicator, pull table - release - read indicator. Adjusting Gibs and Angular Contact Bearing on a Tormach! WW189 - YouTube

Checking Gibs For Wear & Needed Adjustments - YouTube . When you snug the lock-nut keep the the Allen wrench to keep the screw from tightening . Do not over tighten the gib. You have to have a film of oil on both sides of the dovetail. This is a big machine, but it's the same principal. Checking Gibs For Wear & Needed Adjustments - YouTube

Last edited:

Back