What's new
What's new

Giddings and Lewis cast bracket

Martin Reece

Aluminum
On my boring mill 330T there is a bracket that fits in the T slots. It has a pin that turns , which moves another pin back and forth. What is this for? I tried loading a picture but it says file too big.
Thanks
Martin

Attachments

• F92BBB18-650D-4A78-AD4B-136F73917D04.jpeg
    F92BBB18-650D-4A78-AD4B-136F73917D04.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 32
Does your HBM have a rotary? If not it could be a jacking pad for shifting parts on the table?

I don't know. The more I think about it, that explanation doesn't make sense. Anyone would use a bolt for that, not a casting with a rack and pinion inside. Strange.

Martin, Not familiar with G&L Horizontal Boring Mills but could the item in question be an adjustable part stop? It would probably need to have a locking method if it were for that purpose. As you have a 330T, would you know if a 350T uses the same Acme screw and nut to raise the head? And are they the same as the X & Y screws? My reason for asking is I have a New Elevating Nut marked 10456 that needs to find a G&L machine needing this part. My picture is also too big.

Thanks,
That makes a lot of sense. It does have a locking grub screw.
I am pretty sure a 350 is quite a bit larger machine. Not sure if they use the same Acme screw? Cheers
Martin

Martin, Not familiar with G&L Horizontal Boring Mills but could the item in question be an adjustable part stop? It would probably need to have a locking method if it were for that purpose. As you have a 330T, would you know if a 350T uses the same Acme screw and nut to raise the head? And are they the same as the X & Y screws? My reason for asking is I have a New Elevating Nut marked 10456 that needs to find a G&L machine needing this part. My picture is also too big.

On most older machines these nuts are often made to suit. Standard practice in the places I worked was generally to remove the screw and true up the threads so that they have a uniform pitch to remove wear, then make a new nut to fit the trued screw with minimal backlash. That is to say, a new nut couldn't be used except in a fairly new machine or there would be a ton of backlash. When new I'm pretty sure they are the same threads on all screws on an individual machine, but don't hold me to that. It's been a few years since I had to mess with one. The screws and nuts for a 350T will be much larger than for a 330T.

I am pretty familiar with G&L hbms, and I've never seen a part like that used on one. That doesn't mean that it never was or isn't related to the machine, only that I'm no help to confirm or deny that, sorry.

I wonder if the reciprocal stroke couldn't have been used for an oil pump or something? No telling.

eKritz
Thanks for the input about the elevating nut. This one is a 2-1/4 OD X 8" with a 2-1/2 TPI Acme which would move the head .400 per rev. It has the part #10456 scribed on it. I contacted Fives about it and they gave me a new part #M.1000.2417. As you guys are in the HBM realm keep in mind this New part is available at a good price.DSCN3461 G&L NUT.jpg

eKritz
Thanks for the input about the elevating nut. This one is a 2-1/4 OD X 8" with a 2-1/2 TPI Acme which would move the head .400 per rev. It has the part #10456 scribed on it. I contacted Fives about it and they gave me a new part #M.1000.2417. As you guys are in the HBM realm keep in mind this New part is available at a good price.View attachment 368375

I know a few places running 350Ts, I'll ask if anyone is interested for you.

Back