What's new
What's new

GM to stop making internal combustion cars

The electric version of the Fiat 500 is already pretty heavy. 2900lbs vs 2300lbs in the gas version,
and its got a pretty big frontal area, which makes the mileage go way down at high speeds..
I don't think adding solar panels on the roof would be a good idea.

Now if they were built into the roof. That's a different story, but then they wouldn't be dirt cheap.

Have you ever seen "who killed the electric car"? Pretty interesting how decent of a car the EV-1 was but it was still scrapped. GM has had some real blunders over the years and this was one of them.

But how much silver is there? How much copper?
Don't put too much stock into what a company like GM is doing. They are "too big to fail" (ei: friends with the Fed bankers) and don't need to make any money. Pushing the agenda of those who imagine money into existence is far more profitable than making something of value could ever be.

Its easy to push the GM “to big to fail” narrative. Why don’t you tell the whole story??
The Fed bailed out the entire auto industry, suppliers, financing arms and all. Ford still owes almost $5 billion on their bailout. What about the $180 billion the Fed gave AIG or the billions it loaned to foreign companies on American soil? Why not talk about the “to big to fail” bailout the Banks and Wall Street received? They were the root cause of the problem....corporate greed at the expense of the average person. We allowed them to offshore all manufacturing and then complain about China and not enough good paying jobs to raise a family.

Boeing ran around the world looking for a $68 billion bailout and nobody would give them a dime. Along comes the “pandemic” and EVERYONE gets bailed out. The taxpayer gets nothing in return. What about the recent PPP bailouts? As a tax payer, do I get any juice in private businesses??? Nope not a penny, we the people get screwed again. I personally know 5 multi millionaires that received the PPP bailout. They all said the same thing, “there’s no way this can be real”. I looked them up and they totaled just over $2 million in bailout loot that was completely unnecessary. Three of the five are now selling their businesses and retiring because 2020-2021 were the best years they ever had.

We can’t forget the never ending farm bailouts, the 50yr war on drugs, millionaire career criminals (AKA politicians), government deficit spending to support the 50yrs of endless war we’ve been in for the US defense contractors.

Of the big three Ford was the only one that didn’t take a government bailout. They mortgaged everything that they owned to survive, Even the blue oval.

Its easy to push the GM “to big to fail” narrative. Why don’t you tell the whole story??
The Fed bailed out the entire auto industry, suppliers, financing arms and all. Ford still owes almost $5 billion on their bailout. What about the $180 billion the Fed gave AIG or the billions it loaned to foreign companies on American soil? Why not talk about the “to big to fail” bailout the Banks and Wall Street received? They were the root cause of the problem....corporate greed at the expense of the average person. We allowed them to offshore all manufacturing and then complain about China and not enough good paying jobs to raise a family.

Boeing ran around the world looking for a $68 billion bailout and nobody would give them a dime. Along comes the “pandemic” and EVERYONE gets bailed out. The taxpayer gets nothing in return. What about the recent PPP bailouts? As a tax payer, do I get any juice in private businesses??? Nope not a penny, we the people get screwed again. I personally know 5 multi millionaires that received the PPP bailout. They all said the same thing, “there’s no way this can be real”. I looked them up and they totaled just over $2 million in bailout loot that was completely unnecessary. Three of the five are now selling their businesses and retiring because 2020-2021 were the best years they ever had.

We can’t forget the never ending farm bailouts, the 50yr war on drugs, millionaire career criminals (AKA politicians), government deficit spending to support the 50yrs of endless war we’ve been in for the US defense contractors.

I've already pointed out what "too big to fail" means and you can infer all those that applies to. The whole story in summary is this: The owners, as I call them, influence and shape our world with literally infinite resources by imagining money in to existence to give to those that serve them, devaluing any savings you've managed to scrape together which forces you to continue to trade your labor for more imaginary money. The game is rigged to keep you playing. As soon as we stop, they lose everything. But until we do, the game will continue and their nobility and vassals will receive whatever money they require to push whatever agenda the owners want pushed.

Of the big three Ford was the only one that didn’t take a government bailout. They mortgaged everything that they owned to survive, Even the blue oval.

Ford got their $6 billion from the Department of Energy and the others received their loans from TARP. Either way you look at it, if a business cannot get a loan in the private sector and comes crawling to the taxpayers....It’s a bailout. Its been a while since I looked it up, Ford will be finished paying their “loan” back in 2022.

Every future projection has some amount of bullshit in it. But I think it would be far more entertaining to have you spell it out for us. So please, how many ways can you call me stupid in one post? Surly you can do better than just two.

No, no please if you are so smart, you tell us why it is complete crap

No, no please if you are so smart, you tell us why it is complete crap

And here I thought you might actually have an informed opinion, given how strongly you express yours. Turns out you really just want others to make informed arguments for you. Also, Ries already did most of the work for you, if you were paying attention.

Ford got their $6 billion from the Department of Energy and the others received their loans from TARP. Either way you look at it, if a business cannot get a loan in the private sector and comes crawling to the taxpayers....It’s a bailout. Its been a while since I looked it up, Ford will be finished paying their “loan” back in 2022.

I think Ford is on the hook for a $Billion or so stemming from some kind of Transit van tariffs deal.

"Ford"---Considering Teddy Roosevelt (statue) just got the boot from in front of the Museum of Natural History I wonder how long before Henry Ford gets looked at for his attitudes back in the day.

I guess the Ford family could buy their way out but it could get real sketchy.

I think Ford is on the hook for a $Billion or so stemming from some kind of Transit van tariffs deal.

"Ford"---Considering Teddy Roosevelt (statue) just got the boot from in front of the Museum of Natural History I wonder how long before Henry Ford gets looked at for his attitudes back in the day.

I guess the Ford family could buy their way out but it could get real sketchy.

Interesting points. Ford as far as I know began restructuring earlier than when the big government bailouts began. It was started before the crisis and mostly a done deal. They timed it with great luck and through their actions gained liquidity to remain afloat. Even after the bailout the car and truck business was suffering and they basically needed to sell cars and get them financed. This was hard even after the bailouts began.

The government hardly ever gives much of one darn thing back which they took before taking tax money and bailing out bad actors-big ones and many of them. It is too bad really.
Interesting article where it was believed Ford got secret government money. If they received any money at all it was minimal as they had already stood on their own two feet. Probably a very good thing as less government means less problems and sleepless nights.
Did Ford take '''secret government money''' while earning praise for avoiding bailout? - mlive.com

Interesting points. Ford as far as I know began restructuring earlier than when the big government bailouts began. It was started before the crisis and mostly a done deal. They timed it with great luck and through their actions gained liquidity to remain afloat. Even after the bailout the car and truck business was suffering and they basically needed to sell cars and get them financed. This was hard even after the bailouts began.

The government hardly ever gives much of one darn thing back which they took before taking tax money and bailing out bad actors-big ones and many of them. It is too bad really.
Interesting article where it was believed Ford got secret government money. If they received any money at all it was minimal as they had already stood on their own two feet. Probably a very good thing as less government means less problems and sleepless nights.
Did Ford take '''secret government money''' while earning praise for avoiding bailout? - mlive.com

Ford will have no problem and make $Billions just on the F150 electric pickups that Practical Machinist members will be buying.

Ford will have no problem and make $Billions just on the F150 electric pickups that Practical Machinist members will be buying.

Doubt they will be buying them much. I do think they want other people to buy them but they likely will just keep talking about it and lecturing people into buying one.

:cloud9:

Doubt they will be buying them much. I do think they want other people to buy them but they likely will just keep talking about it and lecturing people into buying one.

:cloud9:

44,500 pre-orders within the first 48 hours.

And now they are over 100,000 pre-orders.

I would call that a success.

Electric Ford F-150 Lightning Pulls In Over 44,500 Pre-Orders In Two Days

Ford Has Racked up 100,000 Preorders for the F-150 Lightning

As a comparison, the best selling "sports" car last year was the Mustang, with 61,000 total. 72,000 in 2019.

44,500 pre-orders within the first 48 hours.

And now they are over 100,000 pre-orders.

I would call that a success.

Electric Ford F-150 Lightning Pulls In Over 44,500 Pre-Orders In Two Days

Ford Has Racked up 100,000 Preorders for the F-150 Lightning

As a comparison, the best selling "sports" car last year was the Mustang, with 61,000 total. 72,000 in 2019.

I am not surprised at all. This was expected even as far as their projected production is concerned. Now tell me if their prepared expected estimate came close to expected sales. It would be pointed out very loudly if they were now swamped and behind on orders if for example the orders exceeded projections by say 30 % . Most would point it out as a move in a growing direction.

These will set a track record of use over time. The government supporting them by installing Lightning chargers is one expense which is subsidized so to speak. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. It would have been better for the government to be reimbursed perhaps.

We can wait to see who tells us they just ordered one here. I predict there will not be a big surge of members doing that.

Back