Good Books

Dean

Plastic
Hi Folks,

Just received 2 books by Kenneth Cope.
1) American Lathe Builders: 1810-1910
&
2) American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders
Both by Astragal Press. I bought from Amazon.

Very nicely done. He has my Rhodes #1 in there. Amazing how many makers there were.

I have no financial interest in these BTW.

Dean Buck

Hi Mike,
Just 2 small pictures/drawings, one of the shaper setup, one of the slotter setup.
Seem to be taken from period advertisements.
Don't buy the book just for Rhodes.

There are however, many, many other makers and larger and better drawings than those for the Rhodes. Some corporate history in there as well.

I still owe you pictures of my Rhodes cosmetic restoration job.

Dean Buck

Here are some history books I've enjoyed

Industrial Biography By Samuel Smiles

This is the mother load of early machine shop history. My copy is from 1865. It is a short collection from the much larger Lives of the Engineers. Smiles was associated with many of the apprentices of Henry Maudslay (inventor of the cross slide, etc.). Many of the stories about Bramah, Maudslay, Clement, Nasmyth, and Whitworth found in other books are from this book and the Lives set.

Tools for the Job By L.T.C. Rolt
Charles Churchill & Company 1965

A great overall history of machine tools. Covers early history but really gets going with the development of boring machines for cannons and the developments in England and then in America. Has a nice discussion of why developments shifted continents. Has a 20th century overview that is rather brief.

History of the Milling Machine
History of the Gear-cutting Machine
History of the Grinding Machine
By Robert S. Woodbury
M.I.T. Press 1960, 1958, and 1959 respectively

These wonderful, and hard to find, monographs are histories of one machine (I believe that there is also a History of the Lathe but I have not been able to locate a copy). Woodbury covers the evolution of each machine from its earliest inception to the era of publication.

Per the book;
L.E. Rhodes & Co. of Hartford, Conn. was formed in 1897 (reorganization of Finney & Rhodes).

Rhodes Mfg. Co. formed in 1913 (reorg. of L.E. Rhodes).

Mike H. has said that B.C. Ames purchased Rhodes in 1928(?) and moved it to Boston area.

Regards
Dean

Back