What's new
What's new

Good lube to quiet open gearing?

dmalicky

Aluminum
I'm looking for a lube that will quiet the geartrain and quickchange on a lathe. Also good if it didn't attract a lot of swarf. It's for a low-use student machine shop so it's not so important how well it actually lubricates gears.

I know "open gear grease" is the usual option but want one that is especially good at damping--NLGI 3? Or is 3 too thick for gears? I saw some posts in the archives but couldn't find a rec.

Some possible options at McMaster:
1392K31 (NLGI 3 green EP)
1380K35 (NLGI 2.5 white lithium ptfe)
1391K1 (NLGI 2.5 green bentone)
1335K45 (NLGI 2.5 black bentone? moly)
Anyone try any of those?

In the old days, cyclists would dip their chains in hot paraffin for a lube that didn't attract dirt. Any similar (practical) solns for a lathe?

Thanks, David

I have used white greese, spray on for quick change and the interchangable gears on my school shop lathes. I get this at the local auto dealer.

Crown sells a spray-on moly lube for open gears and chains that works well. About as nasty as never-seez in the wet form, but not real sticky once it dries for a little while.

Lubriplate also makes an open gear lube like Gearshield Extra Heavy or the like. MSC sells it. It comes in an aerosol with a carrier solvent that thins the stuff and makes it possible to spray. The solvent evaporates and leaves the self-healing stuff.

Fair warning...don't spray it on fast turning gears...with the thin initial viscosity, you can end up wearing more than you'd like. Don't ask how I know this :D

Target makes an open gear and wire rope lubricant, also sold by MSC, also an aerosol. Gets shipped separately -- hazardous substance.

If you use it on a boat winch cable, be prepared for for it to throw off brown, staining drops onto your hull around the bow eye. Even on a manual winch. They are very persistent.

As for open gears on a lathe, see Matt's message

Those caveats notwithstanding, the stuff seems to work.

Chain lube.. as in chainsaw lube? haaaaahaaaa!

i have this really ugly , smelly , black sticky
gunk in a 20oz aerosol spray can . the label's
illegible ....

about like warm skippy (smooth,not crunchy)

seems to work ok on my southbend 16's exposed
outer gears
(from headstock to feedbox) doesn't attract chips
too bad, but makes a mess on the wall behind the machine.

NEVER get this stuff on your clothes!

Chain lube.. as in chainsaw lube? haaaaahaaaa!
Don't laugh -- chainsaw lube works pretty well as way oil too!

I've been using Vactra #2, but after all the posts about how Mobil took out the anti-stiction additives a couple of years back, I may consider trying chainsaw oil next time...

David: if you happen to have chuck grease, it usually has the same tacifiers that open gear lube has.

I just got back and you guys are trying to get my blood pressure up! Chainsaw lube again!

First of all, the quietest gears are the ones that are not engaged. I learned that in trade school.

Second, any of the spray on moly chain lubes work better than grease since they won't hold the dirt.
JR

If there is nothing wrong with the geartrain and it is properly lubed with the recommended lube why try to quiet it? Noise in a shop is something students will have to get used to anyway. Any of you ever had to write a tough manual program at the control while the machine next to you is going 10k rpm... ;) ...it's all about tuning out the noise...

TnmgCarbide:

"i have this really ugly , smelly , black sticky
gunk "

For the ULTIMATE ugly, smelly, black sticky gunk, try BLACK BEAR gear lube. Woo-Hoo!!! It came up in a discussion of old cranes & hoists. It's still made. Kiss your clothes goodbye, but I'll wager it's great for the gears.

Maybe you have a spray can of this - is the can black & orange?

John Ruth

Thanks again, all. Yes, geartrain is disengaged unless feed is needed. For the first third of the course we don't even let them power feed. Mostly the noise reduction is for myself, when I'm using a machine or so I can talk above the hum.

I have tried this newer stuff here called Honey Goo.It sprays on and after a little while thickens right up.It permeates into most small openings and does a good job of lubrication and frees stuck parts to boot.Haven't tried it on gears yet.It comes in orange can.I will check for manufacture if you like.

I just bought some "wire rope and open gear lube" in an Aerosol. It’s the stuff that sprays on wet, then sorta foams and clots into this “self healing” blanket that lubes and muffles the vibrations too. It arrived today and I intended to apply it right away to see how it works.......

Funny thing......

I couldn’t bring myself to do it! My old Rocky is amazingly quiet even with the gears engaged, though it’s got this wonderful warm “hum” when the banjo is in neutral. Still, I just disassembled and meticulously cleaned/adjusted everything, and the whole gear train from the spindle to the lead screw just gleams with the fresh oil! It’s got this nice “warm” look to it, and I just couldn’t do it.

I think I need professional help... <sigh>

I have been using Amsoil Fifth wheel synthetic on my SB 1340 open gears. It comes in a spray can, is white and sticks very well.

Back