What's new
What's new

Good Quality Drill Press

eurodin

Plastic
Hello,

Looking for a good quality drill press that is floor standing that is like an older Herbert. Looking to avoid the ones with round columns with those flimsy linear gears.

Is this such a thing or am I asking for too much? Searched for hours to no avail. Does not need to buy high powered. Basic drilling but I want something that will last 30 years.

Thanks,

If you’re in the UK or the former colonies “ Pollard “ made a very nice pillar drill. Reliable, well designed and engineered plus they were very easy to maintain.

Regards Tyrone
OP's location is Quebec, Canada, which is sort of a former colony (of France), but has CRIII on the money.

My thought is, to get a good quality drill press that will last 30 years, but not cost a bundle, get one that is 60 years old. And there is nothing wrong with round columns if they are on a machine that was expensive/good quality when new. My Enco (Taiwan) drill press with 3MT spindle came with a round cast iron column in two sections, which I decided failed those criteria. I bored the ends of the two sections and inserted a heavy wall steel tube. I calculated the column stiffness at the time, but don't recall the results exactly. I think I doubled it. Anyway, the machine is OK 40 years after I bought it new.

Larry

Last edited:
Any of the Swedish bunch of gear heads are a good buy. IMA, Arboga, Strands, etc.

The other option is the DoAll knucklehead, but a much bigger machine. Look for DTR-28
They also make a good standard gear head.

Second the opinion that round columns are not an indicator of poor quality.

Whats the max hole size ....to get away from a round column and 'spur' gears ,you be looking at a big industrial machine weighing several tons.

Not more than half inch for the mass work, Don't need much, but would like something that is quality.

Thanks for everyones input. After speaking with production team it would appear they would be open to light milling machine to make brackets, etc. Would something like a King Canada milling machine with a digital readout but equally as good as a cheap upright drill press? (King, Jet, International, etc)

Any of the Swedish bunch of gear heads are a good buy. IMA, Arboga, Strands, etc.

The other option is the DoAll knucklehead, but a much bigger machine. Look for DTR-28
They also make a good standard gear head.

Second the opinion that round columns are not an indicator of poor quality.
Another good Swedish drill is a Solberga.

Hello,

Looking for a good quality drill press that is floor standing that is like an older Herbert…….

Is this such a thing or am I asking for too much? Searched for hours to no avail.

Where have you searched? Quebec is the ideal province to find such a machine- tons of industry there.

You want a Strands S68 or Arboga (mentioned). Being in Canada the Strands will be easier to find. TOS made a heck of a fixed-head drill press. TOS is a likely bet in Canada as well, unlike the US.

The US had some serious domestic iron for machine tools, but as Canadians the supply here is often either high-end European machines or Chinese boat anchors.

Back