What's new
What's new

Good shop towels

Bill D

Diamond
Last info about shop towels source is 2015 so what is a good source of general use cotton towels. I bought some at horrible fright and returned them. Thin like cheesecloth I could see through them. Did not absorb liquids probably not much cotton in the 100 cotton fabric.
Costco towels were recomended back then.
Bill D

we had towels from a uniform service. They sucked. I started buying the terry towels from Costco/Sams and they work great. Not too expensive, $20 for 60. Good absorption, work well for soaking up blood or whatever.

Scott shop towels are pretty good, but not reusable. They come on a paper towel roll. The newly made ones, not the recycled ones. The recycled ones work about like the Fright ones described above. Not very absorbent at all. Almost feel hard to the touch - the new made ones are nice and soft and absorbent. I use them at home. I actually like them better than the old red rags we used to use in all the big shops. They're more absorbent so they last quite some time.

Last info about shop towels source is 2015 so what is a good source of general use cotton towels. I bought some at horrible fright and returned them. Thin like cheesecloth I could see through them. Did not absorb liquids probably not much cotton in the 100 cotton fabric.
Costco towels were recomended back then.
Bill D

If you found some thread about that from back then, then I prolly said that I got mine on E-bay while I was trying to figger out how we were moving fwd as the service that I was using said that they would not exchange anymore with me. (company policy, I git it) And I wasn't going to pay for the weekly "service".

But I did eventually find that a local service is more than happy to worsh my rags if we drop them off and pick them back up for $1/#. Not sure that _ that is all that much cheaper than buying them new, but that would just be wastefull. Not sure how many #'s you would need for min batch size for that tho?

But cloth rags will fluff up a bit once they go through the worsh once. I wouldn't expect that the e-bay ones would be any better than what you got, but who knows? Did you ask the laundry service if they had any to sell? I haven't bought any in the last several years as I likely now have enough to last the rest of my life as we get 100# or so worshed once a year.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I buy the large roll of blue wipers from MSC. They work really well. They can take a beating too, so scrubbing stuff or wiping down a machine is no problem.

WypAll towels are awesome! These are actually way better than cloth towels and they absorb a ton. Toss them when they get too saturated. The only bad part about them is the size of the roll. I unroll about 20 rags and put them in my vehicles. The blue roll towels cannot hold a candle to these towels.

Attachments

• 717XA0Dy+wL._SL1500_.jpg
    717XA0Dy+wL._SL1500_.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 2
A good old fashioned shop towel thread! By gar, it's been a while!

OK, then. The Scott towels with the fibers in them are very good. The regular Scott towels I use more often, but that's cuz they're good enough for a lot of things and cheaper.

Never understood those red rags the linen services offer... they suck when new and as they effective increases with use, they quickly fall apart.

Maybe not the best way but here is how I did it.
First you need to buy a rental house.
Then rent it to a guy you've known since kindergarten - 65 years ago and you trust him - despite the hard luck story he tells you.
Now the guy needs to have turned into a jackpine savage in the intervening years and stiff you for a bunch of rent and then move out suddenly and disappear into the night and fog.
And leave you with a big mess.
Now if you do it this way, try to find a guy who has a fetish for towels of all sorts - dish towls, hand towels, bath towels and leaves you a couple bushel baskets of them. All good cotton ones.
That is how I did it.
Just brought them home yesterday.
These should last for shop rags till the next dirt bag comes along. Though in the rental application I may start asking how many towels of all sorts they have and automatically reject them if they have too many.

Attachments

• 2022-09-20_04_03_18.jpg
    2022-09-20_04_03_18.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 29

Back