What's new
What's new

Good source for used machines

jacobkussery

Plastic
Anyone know a good source for used machinery? I've been looking on Facebook market and craigslist with not much luck.
I found HGR industrial surplus but the fact they do not test any of the machines before they sell them makes me nervous. Especially since I would be out of pocket the freight costs. Anyone ever bought anything from them?

Have bought from them......you just negotiate and set aside funds for repairs.
Anything you buy from anybody used will need some repairs, unless you are buying rebuilt w/warranty(rare these days)
Can you repair what your buying?

I bought an old Millrite from HGR about 12 years ago. It was cheap enough that I took a chance on it, and it was better than the mill I had (none) for the garage.
The salesman I had made it clear that they aren't really machine tool guys, but he also took a ton of extra pictures of different areas of the machine I had asked for and sent them to me.

Got any machine shops in your area? It pays to ask around, you never know what machines might be in limbo while they decide what to do with it, shoved in a back corner not being used anymore.

I bought a Mitsui surface grinder from CW Wood Machinery (Cincinnati) years ago. I arranged with them for me to test it on location, they were nice about it and temporarily wired it. I drove from SE Tennessee to do this, approved and headed back to arrange shipping. No regrets and no surprises, just a thorough disassembly for cleaning when it arrived.

Location? I assume North America at least. Government bases in Nevada have some interesting stuff and not as rusty as most stuff stored outside. Anything in Alaska or Hawaii is overpriced and shipping will be a killer to the lower 48
Bill D

Adding your location and what kind of machines might be a good start for a search. BidSpotter and the like auction house can be OK. Often you can inspect the machines and often there is a person you can ask simple questions, and the general condition of a shop gives a little confidence.. Having good inspection talent is a plus.
I can do a fair job of inspecting a lathe or a grinder but with not running such a machine I have little idea if the spindle is good.
Even running a machine, you need to know what to look for.

A not-runnimg machine should sell for $1000 less.

bidspotter.com is another place for auctions. And cncmachines.com this place that seems to be a lot of owner listed machines. I have not used either. I've been warned to steer clear of used dealers.

I was working with the local riggers that service my area about moving a machine I got and mentioned to the lady I was working with that I was looking for a Fadal 4020 extended Z. She said ohh you should talk to so and so as he is a dealer for and services Fadal's in the area and is always in the know. I contact him and he turned me on to a machine that was exactly what I was looking for 15 minutes away. I purchased it directly from the local shop, I think the guy got a finders fee from the seller.

I've gotten several things from HGR. I've been lucky I guess. Good price for what I got and not damaged in shipping. And they ran. But you don't have to look long to find someone that has received a dropped machine from HGR.

A lot has to do with your location and how the used market it close to.

I have bought most all my machines from Craigslist but it took years and constantly looking at their site daily to be the first one to respond to good deals. I buy something use it for a while, then when something better comes up I buy that machine and sell the other one. I have driven two or three hours to get something but I never buy unless I can inspect it personally. I have been to HGR a couple of times but only bought small stuff. However if you buy from HGR and don't like it when you get there you can cancel and get your money back. Be willing to travel and come back nothing until you find a machine worth owning.

Sorry I left my location out of the initial post. I am on the gulf coast. Specifically Louisiana

Thanks for all the info so far!

jaco....
You're a bit far from the sections of the country where most of the machines are used, .......
It's been asked already......... what are you looking to buy???
Lots of guys on here, someone may have what you're looking for

jaco....
You're a bit far from the sections of the country where most of the machines are used, .......
It's been asked already......... what are you looking to buy???
Lots of guys on here, someone may have what you're looking for
Im not looking for any specific machine but just a small job shop lathe. Something about the same size as the KNUTH BASIC 180. 14" swing and preferably single phase hook up but I can use a 3 phase hook up with a VFD if needed.

Back