What's new
What's new

Goodspeed Machine - Winchendon, MA

I have

jbacc

Wow what a difference between photos. You really did a nice job restoring that Gemco. What items have you been able to work on with the shaper?
I have used it for a lot of grunt work. Hog off material using a cheap hss bit and then do any final machining with my mill etc. I have used it to also make some internal keyways and I have even used it for weld prep or to dismantle a welded joint on a frame I was working on. It takes up a lot of real estate which is a premium in my 2-car garage but I'm happy to have it.

Has anyone expressed interest in the blueprints and paperwork for historical preservation?
Might we see a "goodspeedman" take on a daunting task?

Mike
I originally expressed interest to John J Witt when I met with him 10 years or so ago about a Goodspeed lathe I use in my business. He is the last of the Witt family that bought Goodspeed from Goodspeed. His father, Kenneth, designed the FH30 lathe. I was actually excited when he agreed to meet with me years ago as he expressed there was not much left to see at what was then Goodspeed, and originally the Whitney Machine Co. I did express interest in being the custodian of such information since I have developed a fascination with this "small" American machine company. I'm going to attempt to contact the persons listed in another article I found.

Hello to those interested in Goodspeed/Whitney history.

A trip to Winchendon may be in order again, and soon.
Those Goodspeed/Whitney machines are calling.

I believe there was a post about obtaining Goodspeed blueprints and records...?
Sorry, but I have lost track of this and would like to discuss.

I sure hope the jointer and early table saw get saved. SAWoods, let us know how you make out w/ Dan. With a name like that it sounds like you're into wood-working machinery. SA Woods made great machines in Boston for a long time. Jake

I originally expressed interest to John J Witt when I met with him 10 years or so ago about a Goodspeed lathe I use in my business. He is the last of the Witt family that bought Goodspeed from Goodspeed. His father, Kenneth, designed the FH30 lathe. I was actually excited when he agreed to meet with me years ago as he expressed there was not much left to see at what was then Goodspeed, and originally the Whitney Machine Co. I did express interest in being the custodian of such information since I have developed a fascination with this "small" American machine company. I'm going to attempt to contact the persons listed in another article I found.
So this is a very recent post? Timely! Please include me in this search, thank you.

I bought my Gemco 20” Shaper that was sitting in that building. A very nice fellow named Dan was my contact and he took me around for a tour before helping me load the shaper.
Can you put me in touch with Dan?

Back