What's new
What's new

Gorton 1-22 mastermil need assistance Jammed table

gypsyrex

Plastic
Thanking in advance for your patience. While being distracted by my dial indicator I ran my table to the extreme travel using the Dyna drive II. The table is now unmovable. I have applied extreme pressure on the hand wheel with the Dina drive in neutral but the table will not will not move. I would appreciate any suggestions for a remedy.
Cheers Bob

gorton.jpg

Thanking in advance for your patience. While being distracted by my dial indicator I ran my table to the extreme travel using the Dyna drive II. The table is now unmovable. I have applied extreme pressure on the hand wheel with the Dina drive in neutral but the table will not will not move. I would appreciate any suggestions for a remedy.
Cheer
Have you tried driving it in opposite direction with the dyna drive? I did the same thing on my Gorton a few months ago, think I just reversed the drive to get it unstuck.
Thank you for your reply, yes I tried that immediately. The motor shut down on overload.

As First has said your tapered gib is jammed. Look under the table and between the saddle and table there is a tapered piece that's called a gib. One end is smaller on one end and held in by a slotted gib screw. On the other end the gib is thicker also held in with a slotted screw. Remove the screws and cut a piece of cold roll steel bar stock that is as wide and tick to fit into the small end of the gib. Use a 1 pound hammer and tap out the gib. Be sure the table lock is lose. The table isn't worn and as it moved to the end it tightened super tight. Many times the screw on the small end breaks off. Don't be afraid to hot it hard. If your unsure you can call me as I am a professional machine rebuilder. Send me a DM and put your phone number. Rich

I don’t know Dyna drive details and whether it could be jammed. Assuming it isn’t the problem I’d suggest what I’ve done with jammed Bport table: take all weight off table, rig a lift with a spring onto right hand end of table to unweight that end of table and gib, then drive out gib with a brass drift.

on edit: Richard types faster than me…

Cheers Bob

View attachment 415689
Hi Rich, Nine to nine est. cheers

I don’t know Dyna drive details and whether it could be jammed. Assuming it isn’t the problem I’d suggest what I’ve done with jammed Bport table: take all weight off table, rig a lift with a spring onto right hand end of table to unweight that end of table and gib, then drive out gib with a brass drift.

on edit: Richard types faster than me…
Thank you for your suggestion. The gib and table is still stuck. Cheers Bob

I looked on Vintagemachinery.org under machine reprints and there is a instruction manual under Gorton 1-22 mill. On page 36 or it may have been 24 it says "table gib" it says the BIG end is on the right side, so you need to tap on the left end.. there is ta picture of the table and saddle. You could remove tge gibscrew on the right Big end and tighter the left end and try to move the table by the hand wheel at the same time. You might have to get some help. If this doesn't work, I'm not a big fan of a brass rod or drift.

As I said before cut a short length of flat bar stock just thick enough to slide into the gap between the small (left end, that is opposite of a Bridgeport) opening it should be the same height of the gib. Seeing it is jammed on the far left end it should be easy to access the gib end unless the table end bracket is in the way. If it is remove it. Then use the biggest hammer you own a hit the barstock hard. I screwed up last time saying a small hammer as they bounce. As before if you have a friend who can turn the hand wheel to the right as you hammer. You could spray with penitrating spray first, but I doubt it would help much. I'm teaching a class this week ( 8 to 5) I'll try to call you at break. Rich

I looked on Vintagemachinery.org under machine reprints and there is a instruction manual under Gorton 1-22 mill. On page 36 or it may have been 24 it says "table gib" it says the BIG end is on the right side, so you need to tap on the left end.. there is ta picture of the table and saddle. You could remove tge gibscrew on the right Big end and tighter the left end and try to move the table by the hand wheel at the same time. You might have to get some help. If this doesn't work, I'm not a big fan of a brass rod or drift.

As I said before cut a short length of flat bar stock just thick enough to slide into the gap between the small (left end, that is opposite of a Bridgeport) opening it should be the same height of the gib. Seeing it is jammed on the far left end it should be easy to access the gib end unless the table end bracket is in the way. If it is remove it. Then use the biggest hammer you own a hit the barstock hard. I screwed up last time saying a small hammer as they bounce. As before if you have a friend who can turn the hand wheel to the right as you hammer. You could spray with penitrating spray first, but I doubt it would help much. I'm teaching a class this week ( 8 to 5) I'll try to call you at break. Rich
gib 1.jpggib 2.jpgRich, thank you for your kindness. As you can see One misplaced blow holding on the brass shaft can make a mess. I still have a shoulder on the gib for the adj. screw If I succeed in freeing the table I should still be able to adjust the gib. The gib on this model extended about an inch past the table and did not offer a stable platform to drive on. I am hesitant to continue to pound on it for fear of an other breakage. Do you think making a bracket to attach a (porto-power) to pull the table would be a solution?

Hard to be 100% sure from that picture but, it looks like you are hammering on the big end and tightening it! You need to hammer on the small end of the gib to loosen it, it's a wedge!!!

Hard to be 100% sure from that picture but, it looks like you are hammering on the big end and tightening it! You need to hammer on the small end of the gib to loosen it, it's a wedge!!!
Never mind, after re-reading Richards post it's opposite a B-port!

I'm not sure what the gibs have to do with the problem. Maybe if the gib screws were loose and travel was in the direction that would force the gib in because the ends of the machine were not as worn. When the hand wheel is attempted to be turned does it move enough to remove backlash? If it don't move I would remove the hand wheel on the right side and loosen the nut on the lead screw.
Looking at my machine I noticed there is no fixed travel limit as there is on all my other mills! Something because of this thread I plan to do is put fixed non adjustable limits on the travel similar to what is on my other mills so this problem will not happen to me!

Last edited:
Make sure the livck is off and remove the hand screw lock and use a magnet to be sure the wedge under the screw is loose. Check all set screws and bolts facing the gib as someone may have have added something. The gib is ruined so make a steel bar to rest on the broken end and hit it with the biggest hammer you have. Those who recommend a brass game rod were wrong as you see he broke the gib. I've removed gibs before and brass bend and steel doesn’t.

Are you guys stupid or something ? He drove the table into the end via the leadscrew. It's basically a nut that's jammed up tight against the end of the thread, like a pair of nuts locked against each other. Just have to force it in the other direction, has nothing to do with gibs (or didn't, until he took your advice and broke something).

You guys ever see a machine before ?

Are you guys stupid or something ? He drove the table into the end via the leadscrew. It's basically a nut that's jammed up tight against the end of the thread, like a pair of nuts locked against each other. Just have to force it in the other direction, has nothing to do with gibs (or didn't, until he took your advice and broke something).

You guys ever see a machine before ?
I was thinking the exact same thing, but I am on a "trying to be nice
and not blurt out what the voice in my head is saying", but thank you
Emmanuel, you beat me to it. Many thanks.
Sheesh. Hammer jockeys. I have a 9-J and treat it with reverence.

-Doozer

Back