What's new
What's new

Gorton 1-22 mastermil need assistance Jammed table

Exactly what I'm saying, the gib should nothing to do with it. Unless the screw was loose and the gib was dragged into the ways. In most table machines the end bracket hits the way section stopping movement. I looked in my owners manuals and the right hand bracket has the thrust bearing so removing the hand wheel and loosen the nut should free the jam. If it will help I do have the 3 manuals for the machine. Got them from https://ozarktoolmanuals.com

Last edited:
I've been trying to remember what I did to unstick mine, it was same situation where I let it travel too far and handwheel would not budge it. I've been working 7 days a week for past few months and its all a blur, I know I did not have to disassemble anything, maybe you jammed yours harder than I did. Hope you figure it out, without breaking something else.

I'm not a hammer jocky . GOOGLE "stuck z axis gib on a Bridgeport Knee" you will see how a gib freezes up and how they have to be removed. I still suspect the poster is not hitting it hard enough. If you can't get it hire a pro to do it.

GOOGLE "stuck z axis gib on a Bridgeport Knee" you will see how a gib freezes up and how they have to be removed.
Yeah, except this is the table. That mill doesn't have a power feed on the knee. He just ran it to the end of travel and stuck it there.

Mine was an earlier model, different electronics but similar system, it had trip dogs to stop the power feed. His probably got lost. They were pretty simple, just little cylinders with a counterbored screw that went into a t-nut on the front of the table. After he gets this unstuck and fixes whatever he broke, should make a pair and install them. Then it won't happen again.

and I wouldn't touch google with your dick. Any other search engine is preferable, even that pile of shit from mickeysoft.

Being it was a feed created problem the first thing I would do is loosen the nut on the lead screw. That should eliminate tension and screw turn. It' possible that the tight not wanting to move gib is due to the end plate hitting on only one side due to over travel. Kicking the table at an angle that is pinching the gib. Start with the lead screw, that's what caused the problem!
Getting a bigger hammer is not a good solution!

Last edited:
View attachment 415888View attachment 415889Rich, thank you for your kindness. As you can see One misplaced blow holding on the brass shaft can make a mess. I still have a shoulder on the gib for the adj. screw If I succeed in freeing the table I should still be able to adjust the gib. The gib on this model extended about an inch past the table and did not offer a stable platform to drive on. I am hesitant to continue to pound on it for fear of an other breakage. Do you think making a bracket to attach a (porto-power) to pull the table would be a solution?
I would NOT attach a Porto-power. I am not familiar with this little mill specifically by I have done thoulsands of hours doing Millwright work.
It looks like that feed bolts on from the bottom, I would unbolt that and let’s see what that does. Loosen all the bolts evenly, maybe one tun at a time. This is to unload the potential load on the feed gears. Don’t panic we will get this.

It would be good to put the gib screw back in for now. Probably the gib can be fixed. The saddle is a different story, it is not ruined but not very repairable ether. We can get to that after we get the lead screw in jammed.

Would help if the OP let us know what is happening. which direction crashed? If table is all the way to the right, loosen the socket head cap screws on the lead screw support bracket (bracket with the handle on it). If all the way to left the loosen the right side. That should free the table!

Last edited:
Make sure the livck is off and remove the hand screw lock and use a magnet to be sure the wedge under the screw is loose. Check all set screws and bolts facing the gib as someone may have have added something. The gib is ruined so make a steel bar to rest on the broken end and hit it with the biggest hammer you have. Those who recommend a brass game rod were wrong as you see he broke the gib. I've removed gibs before and brass bend and steel doesn’t.

Rich, Thank you so much for your contribution for solving my table problem on My Gorton 122 mill. the final solution was the application of a power hammer on the gib. supported the the far end with an engine hoist after removing the feed screw and out she came. I have to replace one of the thrust bearings and one of the dial crushed on the left end. I can make a new dial from brass.
thanks again for your input.

Back