What's new
What's new

Gorton 3U pantograph

Murphy141

Plastic
Hello,
I’m a new member. I have a Gorton 3U engraving machine. I can’t figure out how to change the cutter in the spindle. It has a cone instead of a nut that apparently holds the cutter in. The cone does not have any tool marks on it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave: Your 3U spindle is for the Gorton tapered shank cutters. The cutters are removed with a simple tool - Gorton 8489-A - but you can make your own from a piece of steel 3/32" thick, 3/4" wide, and 3" long per the photograph. The notch is 0.275 wide and 5/16" long. Fit the tool over the flats on the cutter, hold the spindle at its sheave, and twist the cutter out of the spindle.
Carl

Attachments

• IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Dave: Your 3U spindle is for the Gorton tapered shank cutters. The cutters are removed with a simple tool - Gorton 8489-A - but you can make your own from a piece of steel 3/32" thick, 3/4" wide, and 3" long per the photograph. The notch is 0.275 wide and 5/16" long. Fit the tool over the flats on the cutter, hold the spindle at its sheave, and twist the cutter out of the spindle.
Carl
Thanks, the last time I used this machine was 1977 at a company that made control panels for aircraft and submarines. I purchased it several years ago and have just started playing with it. The tool you mentioned is hanging on a chain from the tray I just couldn’t remember what it was used for.
I'll check it out.
Thanks again, Dave

Any other suggestions for removing the cutter? I've had a spare spindle laying around for years with a cutter in it that will not come out.

Soak the spindle/cutter interface with Kroil, PB Blaster, or similar penetrating oil. Give it time to penetrate. Then twist the cutter out. If it has rusted in place, well, things are more difficult.

Back