What's new
What's new

Grease Clogging and Solution

TPREB6

Plastic
I just wanted to pass this information to possible save your machine from premature wear. We have a VF6 and a VF2 that just turned 2 years old. Almost two months ago I started getting a 2082 alarm.
(image below shows the grease plugs)

"2082 RESIDUAL PRESSURE DETECTED PRIOR TO AXIS LUBRICATION CYCLE"

The VF6 would hold 90psi all weekend long powered down. The machine also use the purple grease. Well I can tell you that the purple grease clogged every single line on the VF6. The clogging area is the fittings that the copper lines connect to. Inside of the brass fitting is a setscrew and the brass fitting it drilled oversized then tapped. The grease has to flow around the small void between the threads. It took a tech 2 days to remove the lines, remove the plugs and put it all back together.

We no longer use the purple grease, we use a synthetic oil from Kluber/Summit (Syngear SH-1150). Works great and I don't think we will have any problems after this.

From what I could find out it that the purple lub is a diluted with a thinner/spindle oil. I think what may be happening is that when the lub try's to go through void around the threads it is separating the oil from the grease and the grease is left behind. Over time the lub can not get through the grease clog. You can see all the "plugs" from the lines. They feel more like wax than grease or any lubricant.

Just an FYI to help save your machine!

File_004.jpg

Why exactly are company’s using grease for this application anyways?
If it causes premature wear and failure it’s certainly got “better for the environment” when you need new parts/machine because yours crapped out

How did you get to the lines?

Haas switch to tan color grease made by kluber.

I would like to say to anyone that has the Purple Grease to just dump it and replace with the Kluber/Summit Syngear SH-1150 asap! Not cheap at @$350.00 for 5 gallons but far cheaper than a damaged machine!

Well I didn't but the Haas tech did. I helped a little here and there but he was built like a horse jockey and was able to take off key guarding and reach all the fittings. He removed every copper line and every fitting on all the trucks/linear slides and ball nuts. Once out he blew air through the lines and slugs of grease, which was more like wax, slowly pushed out the end. All the brass fittings with the setscrews were packed with the "wax" which he also blew out and soaked in mineral spirits. A two day process and really tight areas to get into. They did have a high pressure pump that Hass recommends on their sight but he did it the right way insuring that all plugs and clogging were removed.

Here's a link to Haas and how to clear lines with the high pressure.
Haas Liquid Grease - Purge Clogged Lines

After assembly we put in the Kluber/Summit Syngear SH-1150, which is just like a heavy clear-slightly amber gear oil, and areas are now being oiled well! It sounds so much quieter and smooth when rapiding.

Thanks TPRE86 for the info.
I believe this is a problem that people do not know they have. By the time you get the alarm, all five of the lubrication points on that axis will be plugged as evidenced by the multiple wax plugs.
Did you consider not reinstalling the set screw fittings? Not sure why they are there in the first place. Never had this trouble with Vactra lube system.
Also there is a lube line to the tool changer.
Thanks again!

I had this happen on a ST35 a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, I was able to pump oil through all the lines to discharge the blockage. I unscrewed all the lines from the distribution block and screwed them to a grease gun that I filled with synthetic engine oil. They are plastic lines so I had to be careful not to split them. It worked and was way cheaper than getting a tech in there. I was lucky that the lines were not as solidly blocked as the OP.

Purple grease. I'll be switching to tan when this can runs out.

We're not using either purple or tan grease. Our VM-2 calls for the red SHC007 Mobilith. Haven't had any alarms or problems that I know of. It's the "that I know of" that scares me.
Is Haas still recommending the red grease? I'll go and see but asking here too.

They appear to stay with the SHC007 but my uncertainty stems from the nomenclature not matching exactly.

Last edited:

Back