What's new
What's new

Green Engraver Model 106 Manual/Instructions

Ookpik

Plastic
I recently acquired a Green Engraver Model 106.

Unfortunately the engraver came with no paperwork so I’m trying to track down an original manual and/or any other instructions. Even a copy/scan would suffice.

I’m hoping you someone can help me out!
:D

Ookpik

I have a copy somewhere I can email you if you pm your email. Might take a bit to find it

Ruralearl and/or Ookpik, would you be willing to share this doc with me as I too have been looking for a manual for my 106, particularly to set the pantograph ratios.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Ruralearl and/or Ookpik, would you be willing to share this doc with me as I too have been looking for a manual for my 106, particularly to set the pantograph ratios.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Setting ratio is just a matter of matching the two moveable pivot screw locations to all same numbers/relative positions.

I have cutters, type and other Green parts. I do not have a scanned copy of the printed matter, just originals.

I just noticed that the machine in post #1 is assembled upside down. Both pivot screw heads should be on top so you can easily change their position.

Larry

Green 106 Overhanging 2 cropped.JPG

Last edited:
Ok - so the ratios must match - that's the primary answer I was looking for. And 1/2 is the largest ratio available. If I want larger than that, I need a larger "master"

Thanks,

-Dan

Ok - so the ratios must match - that's the primary answer I was looking for. And 1/2 is the largest ratio available. If I want larger than that, I need a larger "master"

Thanks,

-Dan
Yes, the Green D2 and 106 engravers do not do 1:1 engraving, true of most engravers. New Hermes did make a 1:1 attachment for a couple models of their engravers, but they are rare. I have the attachment, but not the New Hermes machine it fits. Green made a 1:1 attachment for the D2, but I have only seen a drawing of it.

Engraving at 1:1 will show up flaws more than the small ratios. I once bought a set of new type from a jewelry supply house on eBay. The set must have been hand engraved in Asia and the operator's hand must have been shaky or the machine pivots loose or... That set went back for a refund.

The D2 is a big machine and I have a New Hermes holder and set of 4" type that I have used on the D2. So 2" is the largest I can engrave.

Larry

DSC00117 small.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the Green D2 and 106 engravers do not do 1:1 engraving, true of most engravers. New Hermes did make a 1:1 attachment for a couple models of their engravers, but they are rare. I have the attachment, but not the New Hermes machine it fits. Green made a 1:1 attachment for the D2, but I have only seen a drawing of it.

Engraving at 1:1 will show up flaws more than the small ratios. I once bought a set of new type from a jewelry supply house on eBay. The set must have been hand engraved in Asia and the operator's hand must have been shaky or the machine pivots loose or... That set went back for a refund.

The D2 is a big machine and I have a New Hermes holder and set of 4" type that I have used on the D2. So 2" is the largest I can engrave.

Larry
My Gorton P1-2 will go to 1:1 as manufactured, but I've never tried it. I've considered doing so to make extra copies of some of the letters/numbers that are in low quantities. While the pivots are all tight, as we all know every machine setup has some flex in it - and I wouldn't expect the copies to be as good as the originals. Especially in brass, using a square or ball nose end mill of the diameter of the stylus. Although - given that those copies would then be used to generate work of a smaller size - they might be good enough. May be worth a try.

Someone spoke of the necessity of having both arms set to the same ratio. I recently engraved a piece with one arm set (unintentionally) at 10:1 and the other at 12:1. The letters looked odd, and I noticed that they were all slanted, but otherwise fine. Something to keep in mind if I ever wish to produce slanted letters from an upright font.

The reversed “Ratio Changing Shoulder Screw” and the top mounted stylus arm position are for use with the Green Panel Engraver accessory that I have on my Green Model 106 engraver. According to the original paperwork the actual added feature is the "No. 106-OC1 Overhanging Copy Carrier" which makes the unit a "Panel Engraver." You can then engrave panels 3/8” thick by 19” wide by unlimited length. A pretty nifty option! I see that my machine can be converted back to the standard set up where the ratio changing shoulder screw is accessible from the top and the stylus arm is mounted on the bottom.

Setting ratio is just a matter of matching the two moveable pivot screw locations to all same numbers/relative positions.

I have cutters, type and other Green parts. I do not have a scanned copy of the printed matter, just originals.

I just noticed that the machine in post #1 is assembled upside down. Both pivot screw heads should be on top so you can easily change their position.

Larry

View attachment 382213

Larry, No problem sharing manual for #106 & other info. I tried to upload the files to the forum, but the file was too big. They emailed to Ookpik OK, if you would want them that way. Earl

Back