What's new
What's new

Grinding Surface Quality

I've seen a difference on some smaller machines, but that was usually with a really uneven wheel on a not very stout machine. I haven't balanced a wheel on small machines very often.

It scary watching someone use a1/2 drill to balance wheels without balancing hub. I mark my wheels to know which side was facing me, and also so I know if the wheel is moving on the hub. If there is any wheel movement after you dress the wheel, you will suddenly find yourself only using a small portion of the wheel.

This group is really knowledgeable when it comes surface grinding. I bought Harig 612 not knowing anything about how to grinding. I am getting better as I am sure you will. Congratulations on the purchase, they are nice machines and even with being relatively light can produce some nice finishes.

My machine didn’t have coolant, I added mist system and it works pretty good.

It scary watching someone use a1/2 drill to balance wheels without balancing hub. I mark my wheels to know which side was facing me, and also so I know if the wheel is moving on the hub.
I would never do this on a white, pink or blue wheel. Scary is not the right word.
Aluminum or steel core wheels not so scary.
My wheels get mounted and never come off the hub/adapter until dead.
Yes this means I help keep Sopko in business but so much easier and faster. Time is money.
Have bought the lower cost hubs in search of lower costs. Sopko has been great. Others a crap shoot.

I do change 2A2Ts but try not to. Here I mark the wheel and flange for alignment (number one hole). Lightly stone everything and hope I got it right.
That would be Blanchards, Agathons, Wit-o-Matics.
On a these you need to mark align on both the wheel to flange and the adaptor itself to the spindle.
Perhaps this overkill.

Hi majohnson and CarbideBob:
Yeah I agree 100% even though I've seen it done but never witnessed an accident because of it.
Shit like that makes me cringe...I don't WANT to be afraid to turn on the grinder...that's no fun at all.

So my advice to anyone who wants balanced wheels on their grinder...just buy the damned hubs already.
So they cost you a couple of hundred bucks...its still a lot cheaper than going to Emergency to get your face stitched up.

Sopko offers hundreds of different hubs for hundreds of different models of grinders...pretty sure you can find it if you look, so there's no excuse unless your grinder is truly an oddball.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Unfortunately I am on a limited budget with only 3 Sopko hubs, which means I do need to change wheels. I prefer to change wheels rather then buy hubs of unknown quality.

Unfortunately I am on a limited budget with only 3 Sopko hubs, which means I do need to change wheels. I prefer to change wheels rather then buy hubs of unknown quality.

Changing easy to dress wheels is fine. With each having a mount-up mark the wheels should replace within .003 or better so little dressing will be needed.

Direction of thread is important (tightening)
Diamond Od wheels should have their own mount + indicated in..

Always -blotters
Check RPM notation
Ring test.
Two hands very tight for flange nut.
A two fingers push set up of part test.

Last edited:
Thanks Buck & Conrad. Mark my wheels face along with a mark too locate the wheel on the hub. It can still take a bit to get a full dress. I might try a aftermarket hub at some point. Any brand better than the other.

Bought my SG on a lark, found a one owner low hours Harig 612 Autostep. The company only used it to sharpen stamping dies. Now I could not work with out one.

Back