What's new
What's new

griping on OD of thread

I got into sub spindle lathes pretty late, never thought about a sub spindle that couldn't thread, seems really limiting. We use it all the time for threading.

Well I'd rather have the pie a la mode. Might as well go for broke.

Last summer when blackberries came into season ? I picked a couple gallons and took them over to a friend who can cook, blackberry pie. Then about a half gallon of vanilla ice cream on top ...

I bet that took six months off the end of my life, but worth it :D

Our 25 year old Mazaks have encoders on the subs. This is the first time I have heard of a machine that cant thread on the subspindle.

Last summer when blackberries came into season ? I picked a couple gallons and took them over to a friend who can cook, blackberry pie. Then about a half gallon of vanilla ice cream on top ...

I bet that took six months off the end of my life, but worth it :D

You are lucky. My blackberry/gooseberry patch was plowed asunder.

Hi Lumley32:
The way you're describing the part, I'm envisioning a simple single chucking and a cutoff from a bar.
Obviously there's something I'm missing.
So may I assume there are features on both sides of the part that force you to do it with two ops?
Is the counterbore one of them?
Can you back turn it from the inside or is it just way too big for that?

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

We commonly hold threaded parts in a collet with little trouble, but it's manual and low quantities. One thing I've noticed is soft collets develop a wear pattern surprisingly fast. Not surprisingly it looks like a thread. :D Keep an eye on your collets as the job runs.

Hi Peter:
He has 6000 to make.
He wants to make them without a human touching them from start to finish.
He has a subspindle lathe and he can thread on both spindles.
The part has a hole in the middle so he could use an expanding mandrel to hold it.
The second side is faced and counterbored.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
If both spindles have orientation would it be possible then???

Chucking on the threads is really not that big of a deal. Sounds like it is but it's not. If you know your chuck you know how much back taper to use to get full clamping. It's easier and better if you've got a collet chuck on the sub.

Back