What's new
What's new

Gummed up Micronizer lubricator cleanout?

richard newman

Titanium
The thread about using vegetable oils for cutting oil reminded me that the Micronizer lubricator I use for resawing wood on my bandsaw is all gummed up after sitting around for 10 yrs. I can't even remove the reservoir. Pretty sure it was a vegetable based fluid in there.

Any suggestions on what I could soak it in that would do minimal damage to seals, but still loosen up the old oil?

The thread about using vegetable oils for cutting oil reminded me that the Micronizer lubricator I use for resawing wood on my bandsaw is all gummed up after sitting around for 10 yrs. I can't even remove the reservoir. Pretty sure it was a vegetable based fluid in there.

Any suggestions on what I could soak it in that would do minimal damage to seals, but still loosen up the old oil?
Try WD40. It is good for doing so many things.
Roger

Gordon --

The first-generation of granulated drain cleaners were a blend of lye and aluminum granules. The aluminum reacted with the dissolved lye, to the point that the solution would sometimes boil and "geyser" from the pipe.

I don't know if anyone is still marketing a lye-and-aluminum granulated drain cleaner in the US.

I didn't know that. As a kid I used to use crystal Drano, aluminum foil and water in a Pepsi bottle to make hydrogen balloons, but I had no idea there was alu already in there. Couldn't see it.

Back