What's new
What's new

HAAS - Ethernet

csharp

Stainless
Is there anyone who can help me with the settings to connect a HAAS mill directly to my computer with an Ethernet cable? I have been trying to read the directions but I am not very literate when it comes to creating accounts and logins and addresses.

Thank you.

If you are connecting through a CAT5e cable directly to the machine I believe you need to set up a TCP/IP port (I have done this for an HP750C printer but not a Haas). On an XP PC go to Printers and FAXes, add a printer, add a port and set the port configuration. The name is whatever (VF-2), IP address is the same as set on the Haas, protocol is either RAW or LPR (presumably RAW), port number (9100 is default). Set the printer to the port you created.
If you are connecting through a router the IP address has to be the router address, not the Haas.
Under Start on the PC toolbar, select Run, in the window type in:
ping 192.0.0.192 (the IP address that you set the port to)
It should come back with packets sent and received 100%. Then you have communication.
You probably need administrator privileges to do this. Can you post any of the instructions?

I recommend using a hub or switch between the machine and the computer because most Ethernet cables you have lying around are patch cables. If you want to do a direct connection you will need a crossover cable:

Ethernet crossover cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once you have the computer connected to the machine correctly you will need to have some network settings that make sense. If you used a home router to connect the two devices then both can pull IP information from the DHCP server in the router. This sounds like the easiest way but I don't recommend it. I recommend using static IP assignments, which you would have to do if you connected the two systems with a crossover cable.

As you haven't given the exact model of the computer and the HAAS machine I will give generic instructions assuming a modern windows PC and a modern HAAS control with Ethernet option.

STATIC IP CONFIGURATION:
On the Windows PC goto CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK > CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS
Right Click the Ethernet adapter that is connected and select "Properties"
Select "Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Click "Properties"
Select Radio Box "Use the following IP address"
IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
OK OK OK

All other settings are blank because you don't have a server.

On the HAAS machine hit the settings button
Press page down until you reach communication settings
Use the arrow keys to highlight IP Address
Type: 192.168.0.3
Press "WRITE/ENTER"
Use the arrow keys to highlight subnet mask
Type: 255.255.255.0
Press "WRITE/ENTER"

Enable access to the Hard Drive by setting it to "FULL" and pressing "WRITE/ENTER"

Now from the PC you can type the IP address of the HAAS machine in to Windows explorer and see the internal hard drive of the HAAS machine.

Open Windows Explorer and click in the address bar
Type:
\\192.168.0.3\
ENTER

Now you should see the HAAS drive with a folder called "DATA"

For more information read the HAAS operators manual for your machine:
Haas Automation(R) Resource Center | Your Source For Routine Maintenance, "How To", Manuals & Documentation, Repairs & Service and Drawings & Diagrams

^^Dayum^^^
welcome to the forum:bowdown:

It *might* help if he gave the age of the machine, as there have been a few different network cards used over the years, plus harddrive options. May not matter with awesome post above.

I couldn't get it to work on my Windows 7 machine but got it to work on my NAS with Samba file sharing.

(B) ENABLE DHCP: OFF
(C) TCP/IP: Machine IP address - set a static one that aligns with your network (ie. 192.168.1.101)
(D) SUBNET MASK: set this as your network subnet mask (ie. 255.255.255.255)
(E) GATEWAY: your network gateway(ie. 192.168.1.1)
(F) DNS/DHCP: leave blank
(H) DOMAIN/WORK: leave blank
(J) HOST NAME: This is the machine name that is on the network, probably needs to be all CAPS (ie. JONSSERVER)
(K) PATH: this is the shared folder, must be all CAPS. (ie. NCFILES)
(L) USER NAME: Username on the host name, must be all CAPS
(M) PASSWORD: password must also be all CAPS
(N) ALLOW HD: FULL
(P) FLOPPY: ON
(R) USB: ON
(Q) HARD DRIVE: ON
(S) NET SHARE: ON

This allows the Haas to see your folder on your server. I tried dumping files from my computer to the Haas, it was horribly unreliable and slow.

Back