What's new
What's new

Haas Mini Mill will not boot

edscrane

Plastic
I have copied my post from the general cnc machine forum.

I have a 2001 Haas Mini Mill, new to me, bought with startup issues.
I have replaced the low voltage power supply with a Corsair 550w atx power supply and the Mill now has the correct input voltages.
The screen only shows a flashing cursor top centre.
If I start the machine while pressing PRGRM CONVRS, I get the following :-
HAAS 68030 MONITOR 05-MAY-99
SERIAL RATE IS 00009600
FLASH MEMORY FOUND: 1536 K : 00080000
BBU RAM FOUND 1024 K
68882 COPROCESSOR NOT FOUND

All 8 CPU boaard lights are on.

The backup battery reads 3v, testing via the auxilliary plug.

The fault should have been caused by low voltage from the old power supply on either +5, +12 or -12.

Any help to get the machine started would be appreciated, thank you.

Regards

Edward

68882 COPROCESSOR NOT FOUND
sounds like its not detecting one ofthe cpu's. id speculate the flash ram has lost its firmware. you will most likely need a hfo to come reload the core firmware.

After starting the machine while holding the PRGRM CONVRS button, you will see the information that you already described.

You will then need to enter a series of numbers, spaces, and letters.

This code MUST correspond to your machine's physical components!!!

If the wrong code is entered or any digit of the code is entered incorrectly, it can ruin your machine.

If you search, you can find a lot of different codes that people have used for their machines, but unless you know that your machine is an exact match to their machine, you won't know if the code will start or ruin your machine.

I would highly recommend that you contact Haas or your local HFO. I don't know if you will be able to get them to look up the correct code and give it to you without a service visit, but it is worth a try.

After this code is entered, the machine will power off and on a few times by itself. You can then go through the process of restoring the parameters and settings if you have them backed up.

Thank you for the replies.
I will find a Haas engineer this week.
The machine was at base price, so could not lose either way.

Regards

Edward

There are a lot of threads on this forum, and a few others on how to do this. The essentials are:
a) See if you can clear the BBU Ram, (once you do, your params and other files will be gone.. get BU's out).
b) enter DEBUG, and then the machine token ( like "VF4") and it will reload the BBU and machine base from flash-rom where the BIN is stored.
c) restore your 4 files.
This takes like 10mins tops. Do a search here and on the the cnc zone forum. Or just hit google. it usually finds the links to the posts. It's not hard. You do not need the Co-Processor. Thats just a check to see if it's there.

Some buts-
#1 I hope you have your parms and other files backed up someplace. and you'll need to re-enter your unlock codes.
#2 If this does not work then you have something else afoot... But this symptom of corrupt or lost OS can (and has) been repaired.

Thank you for the information .
I have tried Google, but all the DEBUG entries seem to be from the normal working screen and not the operating system.
Also, I do not know what to enter for a Mini Mill. Is it just Mini Mill, or Mini-Mill, or Mini-Mill CE, etc ?

Regards

Edward

As countryguy said, first see if you can clear the BBU ram. My input was something like M 3000000 30FFFFF, but I was told by an applications guy that this can be different between different machines. He also said if this is input incorrectly that it can ruin the machine. Maybe format something incorrectly? I'm not exactly sure what the danger is, but there is a danger of some sort. Maybe someone who knows more about it can chime in.

MM1 is what I had to input for my Mini-mill.

Here is a previous post with more detailed explanation...

HAAS - Reset SN of machine

Last edited:
I am having a similar problem and need to reload the BBU RAM. Where can I find a list of debug machine tokens? All my web searches point back to this single thread or to the debug page in the main software, not the hardware monitor. Thanks,

Back