What's new
What's new

HAAS Renishaw Probing Problem

OTS leveling

"not a machinist" ... did you happen to see this post? I didn't see a reply to it.

Is your OTS stylus leveled properly? These can come loose. From stringy drill chips hitting them, or from measuring tools with rotation on.. If the stylus is not level, you will not get accurate results for diameter and length. Skip to 1:30 in the video.

Thank you for the reply. yes, the OTS has been completely removed, cleaned, reinstalled and leveled to less than .0001" X and Y. I have since checked it twice and it remained at less than .0001". None of these results make any sense to me but, something is clearly wrong and Phillips (HFO) or HAAS is refusing to return to check it. when they were here last they checked everything and changed the Master Calibration Diameter printed on the Master during the Calibration routine. That only helped for that particular tool and then even that diameter went off (measuring the actual cut) after a week or so. So I checked the OTS level and found it to be .0009 off in the X direction. That is when I removed the OTS, cleaned and recalibrated.

From what you have said it seems like the probe is working fine since it is repeating, so the issue is most likely some calibration or user offset.

Long shot: Do you work in metric mode? If you do then you need to calibrate in metric mode.

Where in Maryland are you located?

From what you have said it seems like the probe is working fine since it is repeating, so the issue is most likely some calibration or user offset.

Long shot: Do you work in metric mode? If you do then you need to calibrate in metric mode.

Where in Maryland are you located?

I am in Darnestown

I just re-probed a new Maritool .25" end mill that was probed 2 days ago at L 4.2357 D .2523 Wear Offset to get to actual cut at .0032. This tool just probed at L 4.2354 D .2514 Wear 0.0000. Actual cut was .2501.

I have offered to pay for 4 hours of on-site training for the Renishaw Probe set-up, calibration and usage but, I do not get any response??? This is a new machine!

Does anyone know of any expert machinists in my area of Darnestown MD 20874 that I could hire to come in and verify that I am/am not an idiot?

response

You should be able to indicate the stylus in to .0001" or better, they are adjustable.
If you calibrate with a quality ring gauge the probe should be extremely accurate.
The machine itself is more likely to be introducing any error.

Is the discrepancy you are seeing on the parts you machined, or on the calibration master?
Did you measure your parts with a micrometer, and the probe reads something different?
Unless good machining strategies are used there is almost always a draft from top to bottom of a part.
Finish passes, spring passes, etc. Bored holes vs. interpolated.

When the machine was set up and the first test cuts made, was this issue apparent?

Haas calibration video
Wireless Probing How-To PART 1 - Calibrating the System - Haas Automation, Inc - YouTube

I indicated the OMP-40 stylus to less than .0001.

Discrepancy is in the diameter of ALL tools probed, including the Calibration Master. The diameter discrepancy in the 4 tools probed were .0030, .0032, .0040 and .0060 with the larger diameter tools at the high end. After changing the values in the "Wear" column on the Tool Offsets screen and recutting straight cut, interpolated bore to .2" and rectangular bore (inside and outside), I was ale to get the actual measurement in line.

Note that macro variable 10584, supposedly the OTS Probe diameter, is at .496300. The actual diameter is .4995. I tried to change it, but the Calibration Routine Alarmed out. I do not know if this is relevant.

This problem was noted to HAAS and Phillips weeks after the original machine install over a year ago. Their "fix" was to change the Calibration Master diameter value entered during the probing process and that was only done almost a year after the install. Obviously, that would only work for one tool and should not have to be done at all.

Now, they (HAAS and Phillips) will not respond at all. They will not even provide training that I would pay for and they will not even come back to correct when I agree to pay in advance!

If you are still in need of help I will be in your area in the next 2 - 3 weeks. No promises but I may be able to swing by and take a look.

I indicated the OMP-40 stylus to less than .0001.

Discrepancy is in the diameter of ALL tools probed, including the Calibration Master. The diameter discrepancy in the 4 tools probed were .0030, .0032, .0040 and .0060 with the larger diameter tools at the high end. After changing the values in the "Wear" column on the Tool Offsets screen and recutting straight cut, interpolated bore to .2" and rectangular bore (inside and outside), I was ale to get the actual measurement in line.

Note that macro variable 10584, supposedly the OTS Probe diameter, is at .496300. The actual diameter is .4995. I tried to change it, but the Calibration Routine Alarmed out. I do not know if this is relevant.

This problem was noted to HAAS and Phillips weeks after the original machine install over a year ago. Their "fix" was to change the Calibration Master diameter value entered during the probing process and that was only done almost a year after the install. Obviously, that would only work for one tool and should not have to be done at all.

I HAVE to assume that is a pretty huge factor causing issues here...your macro variables need to be accurate or else you're deflection offsets won't be accurate.

Speaking of deflection offsets as I don't have a Haas IDK how they do it but you say you ran the ring gauge deflection offset program?

Back