What's new
What's new

HAAS shrink fit for $5k any good?

deftonite

Plastic
I'm not seeing any chatter about the HAAS shrinkfit options. They are currently running a promo (as usual...) that has the HSF-325 normally priced at $7k on sale for $5k. Seems like a great deal for a machine + 10 shrink holders and 10 pull studs. Is this a POS? Worthwhile for a small shop running a VF4SS with a 12k spindle?

link to sale page

I might be wrong, but from my understanding shrink fit only worth itself in 4+ axis applications, as they tend to ring and resonate due to little mass near tool. at least that was what I was told by the guy running tool and die shop.

I don't have any input on the HAAS shrink fit machine, I have one from MariTool. I use them in my VF2SS, VF3SS with 12k spindle and my EC400 with an 8k spindle.

1/4" and larger endmills I won't put in any other type of holder at this point.

I started using shrink fit holders using a torch, worked great, but picked up this MariTool one, I would recommend a machine, but you can definitely get by with a torch no problem.

The low end ones are pretty similar, not much they need to do anyway not very complex. I have a old Techniks USA similar to that Haas, works fine.
Remember though if you break an end mill inside a shrink fit it can scrap the holder, I used to use a lot of shrink fit for tool and die, but I don't use any now with making 3 axis parts,
Even though I have the machine. Unless you need the reach and the clearance they are inferior

When I was at Conventus I tried heat shrink with two holders and a MAPP gas torch. Roughing Ti6Al4V-ELI on a VF-3SS with a 1/2" Helical cutter, stability in the cut and tool life increased significantly. I was able to push the cut harder and still have the cutter last a lot longer. Got Maritool's older induction machine and a bunch more holders, and ran those happily for a few years. The induction machine died just out of warrantee, and Maritool still replaced it for free. No idea about the new one, but the change is probably for the better.

The low end ones are pretty similar, not much they need to do anyway not very complex. I have a old Techniks USA similar to that Haas, works fine.
Remember though if you break an end mill inside a shrink fit it can scrap the holder, I used to use a lot of shrink fit for tool and die, but I don't use any now with making 3 axis parts,
Even though I have the machine. Unless you need the reach and the clearance they are inferior
IMO they are far better than sticking an endmill in any sort of collet holder and far less expensive than a hydraulic holder and for me the nose diameters are nice for clearance.

I was using Schunk Hydraulic holders before I started using heat shrink but kept running into nose diameter issues, I think they have some smaller nose diameter ones out now, but they are significantly more.

Schunk - $399 for a 1/2" holder with a 1.750" nose Diameter (largest portion)
HAAS - $132 for a 1/2" holder with a 1" nose diameter
- I've been told the HAAS Shrink Fit holders are YG holders........

You get a little more reach with the heat shrink holder as well, at the end of the day, it all depends on your needs.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 27
One thing I noticed when using shrink, is that the tool life was much more consistent (probably due to the concentricity). That's when I started playing with tool life management; on the 1/2" inchers I set the spindle load limit at I think 55%, which it would hit after about five hours in the cut. Never broke one after that.

I'd like to use shrink fit for my CM-1's, but there aren't any ISO-20 shrink fits on the market. I had some custom ones quoted at about $350 each. I'll get a bunch when my wife wins the lottery.

There are some shrink fit to ER adapters, but those are a bit pricey too. Nice, narrow tips though.

You are.
It helps a lot with tool life over collets and side lock holders, no matter the number of axes you're working with.
Over hydraulics as well? I was told to get hydraulic holders unless I need reach and thinnes of the tool, that is generally not the case with 3axis machine.
Again, I have no personal experience, just trying to chime in to understand whether what I was told is general truth or single man's misconception.

Last edited:
Over hydraulics as well? I was told to get hydraulic holders unless I need reach and thinnes of the tool, that is generally not the case with 3axis machine.
Again, I have no personal experience, just trying to chime in to understand whether what I was told is general truth or single man's misconception.
From what I've heard, hydraulics are great for finishing, but not as good for roughing. Never used them myself.

I have a Technics Quencher and when I break a tool too low to grab, I just fill the holder up with water, tighten up the pull stud, cover with a damp folded towel, get a face shield, and heat to the max using a long plastic rod to hold the induction button in. BAM! Always gets the stub out and fun to boot.

I have a Technics Quencher and when I break a tool too low to grab, I just fill the holder up with water, tighten up the pull stud, cover with a damp folded towel, get a face shield, and heat to the max using a long plastic rod to hold the induction button in. BAM! Always gets the stub out and fun to boot.
How many holes have you put in the ceiling?

From what I've heard, hydraulics are great for finishing, but not as good for roughing. Never used them myself.
We use MAPAL high torque HTC hydraulic chucks for roughing and finishing. The say that they have a higher holding torque than a heat shrink holder. Haven't had an issue, and they are more rigid than a heat shrink, no skinny nose taper so of course they are. I have definitely had far more chatter from a heat shrink holder than a hydraulic holder, but with the heat shrinks long gauge length, skinny nose, and less mass its not rocket science to understand why.

When I was at Conventus I tried heat shrink with two holders and a MAPP gas torch. Roughing Ti6Al4V-ELI on a VF-3SS with a 1/2" Helical cutter, stability in the cut and tool life increased significantly. I was able to push the cut harder and still have the cutter last a lot longer. Got Maritool's older induction machine and a bunch more holders, and ran those happily for a few years. The induction machine died just out of warrantee, and Maritool still replaced it for free. No idea about the new one, but the change is probably for the better.
Curious what the holder you are comparing the heat shrink to?

I started buying hydraulic holders a few years ago, Schunk, and had a few pull out with heavy roughing. I switched to heat shrink and have yet to have a problem.

I’ve yet to break a tool and not be able to get it out, I will say the 1/8” shrink fits can be finicky, numerous times I’ve struggled getting a tool out, usually have to take the pull stud off and use a smaller diameter rod to help push it out. The Haimer ones have been better in comparison.

Curious what the holder you are comparing the heat shrink to?
Tried ER-32 and sidelock. Had one milling chuck, but those things are outrageously expensive, or at least they were at the time.
I don’t use side lock holders, they are terrible, I don’t own any. I have ER16 and ER32 and they are used for my drills, taps, reamers.

End mills go in my heat shrink holders, I do have a couple hydraulic holders but they don’t get used very often, pretty much only when I run out of other holders.

I appreciate this thread because I've not taken the plunge but, want to. The suggestion to use a torch is interesting. I didn't think a torch would heat the holder fast enough to get the cutter out.

That leads to the next question: is there any reason one of these wouldn't work with a regular cat 40 holder?

Back