What's new
What's new

Haas st30Y tool setting and g54 help please!!!

DETROITER08

Plastic
HI,
Just started at new shop and I have a 2015ish Haas ST30Y lathe to use. I am used to Fanuc lathes and have run them for the last 4 years. The lathe has a tool probe. When I probe the tools I get an number I expect, large and (-). when I call up a set tool and offset and touch off to my stock I get a small (+) number for my G54 z value.
with that small (+) number in the G54 z cell if I go to MDI and run:
G28;
G54;
T0101;
G00 Z0;
The machine will error saying overtravel in z. I just don't understand how the control figures the z value for g54 when using the tooling probe and z face measure. Are their any settings that need to be adjusted or am I doing something wrong. Any pointers would be greatly apricated.

Thanks,
Andy

make sure when touching off your g54 z0 with a measured tool, that in MDI you call the tool first, so the tool length offset is active. You will visually be able to see the Z value change in the position box when you do that.

I use the same lathe (NGC, 10 inch chuck & BMT65 version). Here's what I do, pretty much by the book if you've got it. Not sure if it answers your question, but it may solve your problems.

1)Change to T101 (which is my std OD turning tool)
2)Jog to stock untill you're happy with this being G54 Z0.
3)Go into work offset menu, highlight the cell that's G54 Z and then press the "z face measure" button.

Reg. 2nd side ops.
1) Change to T101 (which is my std OD turning tool)
2) Using calculator I do this: -365.065 + (distance between part and chuck face) + (length of finished part) = equals the machine Z value that I jog to.
3)Go into work offset menu, highlight the cell that's G54 Z and then press the "z face measure" button.

Furthermore: One thing I got burned on. If you put in a index drill then, if you've got a BMT65 like myself then remember to set centerline to BOT. There's an option for that in the offset menu. Cause you only touch off in Z.
Not to be confused if you use the index drill as boring bar, then you touch it off but give it a different offset number if that makes any sense.

I use the same lathe (NGC, 10 inch chuck & BMT65 version). Here's what I do, pretty much by the book if you've got it. Not sure if it answers your question, but it may solve your problems.

1)Change to T101 (which is my std OD turning tool)
2)Jog to stock untill you're happy with this being G54 Z0.

Reg. 2nd side ops.
1) Change to T101 (which is my std OD turning tool)
2) Using calculator I do this: -365.065 + (distance between part and chuck face) + (length of finished part) = equals the machine Z value that I jog to.

Furthermore: One thing I got burned on. If you put in a index drill then, if you've got a BMT65 like myself then remember to set centerline to BOT. There's an option for that in the offset menu. Cause you only touch off in Z.
Not to be confused if you use the index drill as boring bar, then you touch it off but give it a different offset number if that makes any sense.
If you are running the first and second side in one program, why not set the second side to a G55? That way you wouldn’t have to do all the math.

Back