What's new
What's new

Haas TL tool changer options

Duc

Aluminum
Looking into options for tooling changer options for a 2021 TL-1 lathe that was purchased used with a Dorian CXA tool post. The lathe was a good price with basically no hours but lacked a auto turret.

Background
- 50 parts runs at most. 3-6 tool changes each part
- space does not fit full sized cnc lathe
- speed isnt critical but would be nice to avoid changing tools constantly.

Looking into several options to increase the productivity of the lathe and reduce the need to change between tool holders.

Auto turret
1. Haas Turret ~10-12k install?
Any other manufactures that can be installed on a Haas?

Improved manual
1. Dorian Quadra 1.5k
2. Design a gang tooling setup.
Not sure why but seems the thru coolant tool posts have fallen out of favor for the manufactures.

Looking for suggestions.

The 8 station turret is probably your best bet. It's pricey relative to the cost of the rest of the machine (which is a bargain), but it's easily going to be the path of least resistance by a longshot.

Nice thing is that it's for a Haas TL, which means it holds value and is a low risk purchase. If you ever sold it 5+ years down the road, you'd probably get 80+ cents on the dollar.

The 8 station turret is probably your best bet. It's pricey relative to the cost of the rest of the machine (which is a bargain), but it's easily going to be the path of least resistance by a longshot.

Nice thing is that it's for a Haas TL, which means it holds value and is a low risk purchase. If you ever sold it 5+ years down the road, you'd probably get 80+ cents on the dollar.

I'll have to get a quote from Haas for the install since I dont think they will let me install the unit myself. At least the first owner of the lathe took the financial hit when I bought it.

I picked up some Hardinge gang tooling from ebay for a tooling plate setup. Most of the extra tooling for each setup is for drills, taps, chamfers which would lend itself well to gang tooling with the limit travel.

Order a Hardinge CHNC 8-turrent station since the tooling came with for cheap. $250 for chuck and tooling.
Hardinge CHNC.JPG

Will need to machine a block with proper slot to bolt down to table for hardinge tooling.
lathe setup.JPG

If you can gang tool that is the best hands down.
Fast and simple.

I had a 2005 tl (back whe the controller was not locked down!)
Used the then 4 position post and a suissi multiflex
Preferred the multiflex as it was stiffer, less limited.

The 4 post was the simplest device ever but wimpy. I could see the tool dive engaging the cut.
Air piston to raise and lower. Die springs. A few proxy switches and a kinda sorta curvic coupling.
Little gear and a 12v motor gearbox combo from mcmaster carr.
If you had time itwould be a fun project over a few weekends

Back