What's new
What's new

Haas TM1-P - Umbrella Tool Changer - Using T11 and up

rscherpenzeel

Plastic
Hello cnc operators,
Already searched the manuals and forum however did not understand all the information.

We are using a Haas Toolroom Mill TM1 (2007 building year) with an original 10 pocket side mount tool changer.
we retrofitted the changer, and it is working fine.
we are using Fusion 360 for the CAM programs
challenge we have is when we would like to use the Toolnumbers from T11 and up.
We never have programs with more than 10 tools in one program.
We already have 99 Tool offsets in the mill, so this is not a limitation (setting 90)

Using for example T16 in a program, we get an error that the tool number is to high.
I would expect the Haas to ask for a manual tool change, like before we mounted the toolchanger, however this does not apply.

A different option is to pre-load the different tools in the changer pockets. however, I can not find if this is possible. For example to load T16 in pocket 9.

The last option is to renumber the tools for every program, however this looks quite a lot of work and also easy mistakes.
hope to have an answer here, with thanks.

to clarify, you want to use the toolchanger to load tool numbers that do not reflect the pocket number but will never exceed 10 tools? Or you want to use more than 10 tools per program? aka 15 tools but can only load 10, so you want to pause machine and hand load 11-15?

On Side Mount Tool Changers you can renumber the tool number to any available (1-199) under Current Commands > Tool Table. Just highlight the pot number and type in what tool number you want it to be and press enter. So if you have a 30+1 SMTC, you can set Pot 12 to T159 if you want. Won’t always stay in that pot but the control will now change whatever tool number was originally in Pot 12 to T159. T159 M6 will work as intended.

Haven’t found a way to make this work in the Umbrella Changers, feature seems to be locked out even though the pages are there. Very annoying when we have a master tool library and everything’s pulled from that library, then changed for the Umbrella machines only.

I have one of these myself. Tool number will always equal tool pocket. That's just how it works; so tool 10 always resides in pocket 10.
You first would have to change setting 15 to allow T and H agreement to "off". Then you may program tools 1-10, but use whatever H and D numbers you'd like. It's nice to have H and D numbers match. Just make sure your documentation reminds setup people and operators that this condition exists, and be vigilant about reminding them that "Tool 5 is using offset 63". The untrained will make changes to H5D5 when the should be changing H63D63.

This is what I do as well. I hacked up the fusion post to separate turret number from tool number then make a list of "tool 84 is turret 3" in my setup sheet. I wanted to make a macro to have it prompt me when running the program for the first time in a while but I'm a 1 man 2 machine shop and this works for now.

Haas really just needs to allow pocket renumbering like their SMTC’s and this would solve a lot of issues. The pages are there it just won’t accept the edits.

Back