What's new
What's new

Haas TM2 Mentoring Needed

RMS Machine

Aluminum
Guys, I am looking for a VERY gracious member that is willing to get me going on my new (used) HAAS TM2.

I am used to a different system (Milltronics) and am having trouble getting going.

Backround: I have been running a Milltronics MB18 for a few years now and have had great luck with it. In order to run all of my potential parts I needed to bump up to a 40" travel machine. In additional I get the benefit of moving up to 40 taper, toolchanger and being able to run off of my single phase power.

So I have put power to my machine and am able to home everything, jog the X, Y and Z and do toolchanges. I have having trouble after that. I have entered the MDI section to give a spindle on command (M03) and cannot figure out how to execute it. I type "S2000 M03" and hit cycle start and get the attached screen. Some sort of Safety Switch??? This machine obviously has not doors so I don't know where to go after that. The same thing comes up if I try to MDI a toolchange.

Also, it is possible that the HAAS version of conversational programming (quick code) is not on my machine? I could not find it for anything on the control. I just wanted to program a simple drill cycle and could not figure out how without typing in the G-Code. Is this something I could by after the fact?

I am grateful for you help,
RMS Machine

Attachments

• IMG_0296[1].jpg
    IMG_0296[1].jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 279
Guys, I am looking for a VERY gracious member that is willing to get me going on my new (used) HAAS TM2.

I am used to a different system (Milltronics) and am having trouble getting going.

Backround: I have been running a Milltronics MB18 for a few years now and have had great luck with it. In order to run all of my potential parts I needed to bump up to a 40" travel machine. In additional I get the benefit of moving up to 40 taper, toolchanger and being able to run off of my single phase power.

So I have put power to my machine and am able to home everything, jog the X, Y and Z and do toolchanges. I have having trouble after that. I have entered the MDI section to give a spindle on command (M03) and cannot figure out how to execute it. I type "S2000 M03" and hit cycle start and get the attached screen. Some sort of Safety Switch??? This machine obviously has not doors so I don't know where to go after that. The same thing comes up if I try to MDI a toolchange.

Also, it is possible that the HAAS version of conversational programming (quick code) is not on my machine? I could not find it for anything on the control. I just wanted to program a simple drill cycle and could not figure out how without typing in the G-Code. Is this something I could by after the fact?

I am grateful for you help,
RMS Machine

Is your machine equipped with the safety switch(dead man), it will be on a cord on the right hand side of the control pendant?
That switch needs to be pressed and held during operation......unsure if there is a way to turn that off in the settings.

As far as the conversational programming, it was an option and I think you can have it turned on with a code from Haas?

Do you have a manual for your machine?
I think it is available online.

I'm sure others will chime in with more knowledge.......

Good luck.

Kevin

I could not be much help on the safety switch...although have heard something about a Setting 51 on the VF machines.

As to Quick Code...more trouble then its worth in my opinion. I have it on some of my machines and found it to be a crutch. You choose a tool, then an operation and it prompts you to enter values as you go, you repeat till done. Then go back and tweak. The up side is you need to know little code to write alot of programming. The bad part is you do not learn G-Code, what you do know you forget as machine offers that information to you.
When program is done...there lots of wasted moves...stupid moves and instead of tweaking you leave as you kinda forget what does what...if you want a peck cycles instead of just changing the G81 to an 83 or 84 and enter a Q value, you call up quick code. and rewrite the operation, then delete the old...a 30 second modification becomes a 10 minute process...multiple that by each operation and you see how that "helping hand" has becomes a crutch that slows down the process.

Do you have a manual for your machine?
I think it is available online.

^^^THIS^^^

Download it and read it. It is painfully simple. Possibly the best/easiest machine manuals ever.

Turning on a Haas spindle is easier than what you are doing though. In many of the modes it is just (type)2000(then push spindle fwd button)

I ran a TM-1 for many years and the first thing I did every morning was go into the parameters (they reset when the machine was power cycled) and turn off the safety switch. Other wise you have to hold down that stupid little button to get the machine to run. PM me if you want I give you my phone number and we can talk it out , I know how frustrating this can be. I sold off all my haas machines a while back though so I am sure others here could be more helpful .

Thanks for the comments guys.

I do have a switch on a cord on the right hand side of the control panel. I wondered what that was for, it never occurred to me that HAAS would want you to stand there and hold a button the whole time you are running a program. I looked over the parameters in the manual and think I know which ones to switch.

As I just mentioned I do have the manuals and have slowly been going through them, sometimes for me it is best to throw the power on a see what I can learn. I also found the manual on HAAS's site which is nice since that is searchable.

I mainly run programs off of 3.5" disk from Fusion 360 so as long as I can figure that out I should be in good shape. I just have to get the routine down of how to set tools, offsets etc.....

The machine is in a different shop for storage so I don't get over there as often as I need to to really get up to speed.

tc1999, could you tell me more about turning on the spindle? I did not see any obvious way besides doing it in MDI.

Kingbob, thanks for your generous offer. I might take you up on it in the future. Everything now should be pretty simple to do in message form.

Thanks again for your help and I am sure that I will have more questions. I will be going over tomorrow night to try of few of these things.

RMS Machine

tc1999, could you tell me more about turning on the spindle? I did not see any obvious way besides doing it in MDI.

Clockwise [CW] Starts the spindle in the clockwise direction.
Stop [STOP] Stops the spindle.
Counterclockwise [CCW] Starts the spindle in the counterclockwise direction.

Copied directly off the manual and I found it in about 60 seconds. It really is that easy. It will start either at the last programmed speed or just type a speed (2000) and hit the FW button. Works in memory, MDI, and hand jog mode...unless on the TM there is a setting or button that has to be active to have the spindle on. That I don't know. We only have a VF.

I would also get in touch with Productivity, the local HFO, and see if they offer any training classes you can attend. Many HFO's offer free training classes to any Haas owner.
I think it was already mentioned, but look for Setting 51 (not a parameter) and turn it OFF. This will enable you to run without holding the dead man switch. This resets back to ON each time you turn the machine on though.

Good luck and GBR!!

I would also get in touch with Productivity, the local HFO, and see if they offer any training classes you can attend. Many HFO's offer free training classes to any Haas owner.
I think it was already mentioned, but look for Setting 51 (not a parameter) and turn it OFF. This will enable you to run without holding the dead man switch. This resets back to ON each time you turn the machine on though.

Good luck and GBR!!

What?? Are you serious, because I got the exact opposite here. I was told when they came to set the EC up that training was NOT! included. I had to practically beg the guy to show me how to load a pallet. :skep:

edit: machine was bought used

setting graph.. page down.. arrow key down to saftey switch over ride.. press left or right arrow key.. on is selected (enter) make sure it is not on the m30 over ride, if you use m30.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

I snuck over to where the machine is stored to see if I could get the Spindle working. Holding the switch took care of it. I was able to change the spindle speed by just typing a number like tc1999 suggested. I could not seem to do it consistently though. I was in a bit of a hurry so I am sure that by process of elimination I can find the right way/order to get that done.

From what I read I might have to change Parameter 3 first (which allows you to change parameters) before I change 51. Does that sound right?

Next time I am over there I want to mock the following: change tools, set tool zeros, set work offset and run a small program off of the 3.5 disk from Fusion 360. If I can do that I should be able to run programs.

I could not find an obvious spot for a graphic of the program running? Surely that is there I just did not find it. Like I said I was in a bit of a hurry.

Let me know if there are any hiccups I might encounter.

Thanks,
RMS Machine

The graphics stuff is SUPER easy. First load your program, then push memory, program, reset. The button that says setting/graph - just push it 2 times. Then push the green start button, and watch the screen. Given the current situation, you might get an error or 3. You will need to set your x, y zeroes away from the machine home position, unless every move is in the minus direction from there. If you are using G54 for your coordinate system, set G54 x-10. and perhaps y-8. Do you know how to do this? Push offset once, you will get either work coordinate offsets, or tool offsets, just push the offset key to toggle between them. Cursor to the offset you want to change, like G54 X, and type "-10." and hit F1 key, same for Y. Heck, it takes me longer to type this stuff than it is to do. I can walk you through on the phone in a heartbeat. Haas hosts some videos on their site, and the manual is actually pretty good-Waaaay better than the fanuc manuals I've seen so far. The Haas is super easy to use and learn. The TM comes with some conversational stuff standard. I don't bother with that, do it all on the confuser.

BTW, when you get an error using the graphics mode, hit edit and you will be on the line that holds the error. I would suggest you always run your program in graphics for now..... might save your religion and a few cutters and parts.

Ever machine has all the options there, some or most are not turned on. It all depends on what the machine was ordered with. You can get in the parameters and turn on everything if you want. You have to be in DEBUG mode. That is a dirty word for HAAS. I can walk you thru it.

Ever machine has all the options there, some or most are not turned on. It all depends on what the machine was ordered with. You can get in the parameters and turn on everything if you want. You have to be in DEBUG mode. That is a dirty word for HAAS. I can walk you thru it.
Are you really sure you can turn on everything if you want? :) If so, you would be everyone's new BFF. Until the stuff hits the oscillating blades, anyway.....

What?? Are you serious, because I got the exact opposite here. I was told when they came to set the EC up that training was NOT! included. I had to practically beg the guy to show me how to load a pallet. :skep:

edit: machine was bought used

Not to hijack the thread, but onsite training for used machines is typically not included unless you have made some type of deal with your HFO. Most of the time with used machines, you will be paying an hourly rate for on site training. The training I was referring to is basic operator/programming (light programming) class, usually located at your HFO.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

I snuck over to where the machine is stored to see if I could get the Spindle working. Holding the switch took care of it. I was able to change the spindle speed by just typing a number like tc1999 suggested. I could not seem to do it consistently though. I was in a bit of a hurry so I am sure that by process of elimination I can find the right way/order to get that done.

From what I read I might have to change Parameter 3 first (which allows you to change parameters) before I change 51. Does that sound right?

Next time I am over there I want to mock the following: change tools, set tool zeros, set work offset and run a small program off of the 3.5 disk from Fusion 360. If I can do that I should be able to run programs.

I could not find an obvious spot for a graphic of the program running? Surely that is there I just did not find it. Like I said I was in a bit of a hurry.

Let me know if there are any hiccups I might encounter.

Thanks,
RMS Machine

I am glad you got most of your concerns resolved. Once you get the machine and start playing with it, things will start to come easier to you.

Good luck!

Guys, thanks again for all of the help.

I was over working with the machine this morning and had a pretty successful day.

I was able mock everything that I wanted to: set my G54, set tools, and run a program DNC from the disk.

If I had tools in the machine along with vises and material I am confident that I could start running parts.

There is one thing that I tried that I have a question on: I run some fly cutters on aluminum that turn a diameter of 8.25". They give me a GREAT finish and work well. Since I have a 10 station tool changer I was hoping to run this as tool 11 or higher and hand load/unload it since I would most likely have to leave spot s empty next to it in the changer. I thought that if I did that the machine would automatically perform a machine stop and allow that. When I ran a trial program with a tool number 11 it gave an error for an invalid tool number. Can I run tools higher than 10 on this machine?

I did not get the graphics to work but also did not spend much time on it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks again everyone,
RMS Machine

You can only call tool T1-T10 with 10 tool carousel. Consider the "T" a Tool Pocket Position and not an actual tool number.

BUT, you can call any Tool Pocket with multiple offsets...T1 normally would have height offset H1 and diameter offset D1...
BUT, if you wanted to use your Fly Cutter in that T1 position as your Tool 11....call Tool Pocket Position 1- T1, Pull out your T1(unless you choose to leave pocket empty)H1 D1, then manually load your Fly Cutter and call it T1, H11, D11 and that is Pocket 1 Tool with your Tool 11 Offsets.
Just need to be careful you don't load into carousel and and call T1 having it load the T11 cause from what I know the control has no way to verify you manually switch tools.

You set your Tools as it was T1- Offset page showing T1 in spindle(highlighted)...then cursor down to Offset you wish to create and load offsets as normal at that offset number.

I picked Tool Pocket 1 and was assuming your running a T1....but could be any pocket and could be a pocket left empty and swap several tools in it.

You will also have to shut the Matching Tool Agreement Setting(#15), where control wants to see T# the H# the same....not sure about the D#.

You can only call tool T1-T10 with 10 tool carousel. Consider the "T" a Tool Pocket Position and not an actual tool number.

BUT, you can call any Tool Pocket with multiple offsets...T1 normally would have height offset H1 and diameter offset D1...
BUT, if you wanted to use your Fly Cutter in that T1 position as your Tool 11....call Tool Pocket Position 1- T1, Pull out your T1(unless you choose to leave pocket empty)H1 D1, then manually load your Fly Cutter and call it T1, H11, D11 and that is Pocket 1 Tool with your Tool 11 Offsets.
Just need to be careful you don't load into carousel and and call T1 having it load the T11 cause from what I know the control has no way to verify you manually switch tools.

You set your Tools as it was T1- Offset page showing T1 in spindle(highlighted)...then cursor down to Offset you wish to create and load offsets as normal at that offset number.

I picked Tool Pocket 1 and was assuming your running a T1....but could be any pocket and could be a pocket left empty and swap several tools in it.

You will also have to shut the Matching Tool Agreement Setting(#15), where control wants to see T# the H# the same....not sure about the D#.

I've used different D numbers without issue, without changing a setting. Ex: 20 tool carousel, and using D22 (the diameter column across from tool 22) for tool 2, when I needed an extra diameter offset for that tool.

I've used different D numbers without issue, without changing a setting. Ex: 20 tool carousel, and using D22 (the diameter column across from tool 22) for tool 2, when I needed an extra diameter offset for that tool.

You can use multiple tool and diameter offsets T1 with D1, D3, D5 etc., but only one H offset unless to turn off matching. T01 with H01 for example. I recommend leaving it set to H and T matching unless you need it for a specific problem. Can cause big crashes.

Mike

Back