What's new
What's new

Haas VF-5 High/Low Shifting Issue

hotrod1442

Plastic
We are having an issue with our Haas VF-5 having trouble doing the gear shift either from high speed to low speed, or from low to high. Once it makes the shift either way it operates fine.

I've had Haas out to look at the issue, and after modifying (opening up) the pneumatic fitting supplying air to the actuator, and lubricating the shifter shaft with oil, the problem is persisting.

They now want to replace the complete gearbox to fix the issue. It seems to me to be a fixable issue without needing to replace the complete gearbox (gearbox performs well, and runs smoothly, actually was replaced just a couple of years ago),.......... anyhow has anyone else experienced this issue, and were you able to remedy the problem?

That is the thing that I've noticed with Haas, is they seem to just want to replace complete units of the machine, and take the old "core part" back to do a refurb, instead of repairing what is probably a fairly minor issue.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Many times it is the "o" rings on the air cylinder that shifts the gears. There a u tube video covering this problem. Mine leaks a lot. I always leave it in high gear when shutting down so it will boot up ok.

We have the same problem on our 97 vf-2. I found out that pouring a little rubbing alcohol into the supply side air line(right side of the regulator) fixes it usually.

There's another quick-disconnect up on the right side of the manifold at the back of the column on the right side where you can add some too that's a little more effective. The things just get jammed up with moisture and oil over the years.

We just did a rebuild on our '04 VF5 gearbox. For us, it was a broken retaining ring that jammed up the shifter shaft. We went ahead and replaced all of the bearings, retainer rings, o-rings, and prox sensors while we were at it. The video series @M K put together is really helpful. It's a pretty easy process (once the spindle is on the table...)

Reactions: M K
I kind of forgot to come back here to do a follow up on this,......the issue with our VF5 turned out to be burrs that were "raised" on the leading edge of HI/LOW gear cluster (if memory serves me correctly it was the high gear) After finding the issue, and conversing with the Operator, he relayed an incident before this Hi/Low shifting issue arose, of the machine spindle stopping during a gear change, and not restarting,...... and the machine continued thru the program that he was running,.....making a "strange noise" as it did so :), so I'm assuming this is the cause of the "burring" on the leading edge of the gear. Obviously would have thought that the machine would see that the shift wasn't "made", and/or that the spindle wasn't turning? Anyhow, cleaned up the burring, and reassembled/reinstalled the gearbox, and it shifts like new!

Thanks again, for every ones input on this.

Dave

Back