What's new
What's new

Haas Wifi camera - limitations

leeko

Stainless
Hi everyone,

Last year when I purchased a Haas mini mill for my lab, I got the optional "Haas Wifi camera" as I have a need to record some of the machining we do. I set it up a while back, but largely ignored it until now as I haven't needed it yet.

Now that I'm using it, I'm feeling pretty disappointed by it's limitations. It's essentially a $60 D-Link security camera, inside a watertight aluminum magnetic mount enclosure. I forget exactly what I paid for it, but it was a lot more than $60 - maybe around $500 ish.

The problem is that the only way I see to access the camera's feed is through the proprietary mydlink security camera software. In there it gives you the option to record to SD card (inaccessible inside the enclosure), or cloud recording which requires a subscription to D-link's cloud services. (F that).

I called Haas technical support, who know very little about the camera. They couldn't even tell me if it's ok to open up the housing (he'll get back to me on that). D-Link has nothing on their website about using the camera with other software - unsurprising, as they want you to subscribe to their service.

I found one YouTube video showing how to "hack" the dlink camera for use as a regular IP camera, but it requires you to physically hard reset the camera - again, inaccessible inside the enclosure.

The dlink model number for the camera is: Dlink DCS-8010LH

Super frustrated with this... If anyone has any advice on making this an actual useful recording device, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I too called all types of customer support looking for help - dlink isnt even aware that haas sells these it seems, at least who I talked to could not track down any info. Thing does seem pretty crappy and definintely not worth what they charge for it.

Ugh
That sucks. I'm surprised more people haven't complained. What use is a camera that can't record?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wish I had done more research before purchasing. I am stuck in the same spot now, going through the motions with different customer support people. One even said I should have just gotten a GoPro. Any chance you found a different solution? I wouldn't even be opposed to running it as a IP camera, but I worry about the $600 enclosure not holding anymore. If I don't get a solution fast, I will be returning. Frustrating.

For shop management teams like a foreman or company leadership, it probably works just fine being able to stream from wherever you are to check a shift is running. I could see that case making perfect sense. May feel like big brother to operator, but for those in charge it does its job.

We wanted to use it in a school setting, but we can't for all the legal issues of streaming to an outside source. Now we have a $700 case with a camera in it waiting to be sent back. I will own not doing more research, but I didn't realize it would be a wasteful and unusable purchase.

get a cheap Wyze 'security' camera off of amazon. like $20, small, connects to wifi, and can record to SD card. You can also view it remotely from their app.

Wyze is surprisingly high quality stuff for the price. I have one of their watches and haven't managed to kill it in almost a year of daily use. Haven't even scratched the screen, which is a shock, because I tend to break anything that is an EDC item. I've been thinking about getting their garage door opener/camera kit.

It's either going to be a compression seal (gasket, oring, etc) or it's going to be an adhesive seal (RTV silicone.)

Either way it was made by mortals. No reason you can't open it up and seal it back up after you do what changes you want.

Whether it cost $20 or $500, if it doesn't do what you need, change it so it does.

Back