What's new
What's new

Haimer Taster vs HAAS Universal Inch 3D Sensor

goldenfab

Cast Iron
From the pics the one from HAAS Universal Inch 3D Sensor looks just like the Haimer 80.360.00.IN except the HAAS branding on the dial. The one from HAAS is at least a hundred bucks cheaper than all the other places selling the 80.360.00.IN. Any reason not to get the one from HAAS other than getting hate for having something with HAAS on it? Do they use the same replaceable tip? Would not want to be stuck with getting tips from only HAAS, especially since I don't see any tips for sale on their website.

I've been using mechanical edge finders, I think I want the 80.360.00IN. I've seen some discussions on here about the other models 80.360.00IN vs 80.360.00NG and others but haven't read anything definitive. I'm open to suggestions if I should be looking for something else.

They do say HAAS by Haimer and Made In Germany so one would expect it's just rebranded through a marketing agreement. Might be worth a call to either company to ask about probe tip compatibility?

I prefer Tschorn 3D Tasters myself.

Bought mine from amazon in canada for $502, weird the USA price is the same, as compared to the dollar being 30% different.

Looks exactly the same though, but you need to watch amazon as prices fluxuate wildly on some things.

I like my universal one, works well, the other model is a metric version, so dont order the wrong one with the NG(new generation)

Tschorn is another brand you can look at. Cheaper than the Haimer with support in North Amerca which the Haimer does not have. You can't buy Tschorns or replacement tips off Amazon, but from the places you can, they are a lot cheaper.

I have had the opportunity to handle the Haimer NG, the Haimer Universal Inch, and two Tschorn DREPLus (which is different from the regular 3D Taster that the Tschorn makes but it's probably representative).

The biggest difference I noticed was the Haimer NG in my hand as a smooth feeler than the Haimer Universal or the Tschorn DREPlus. The Z-axis movement of all three models feels smooth and indicator like enough (it moves consistently and you can kind of feel the mechanism behind. The Haimer NG might be a litte lighter in this respect but there is nothing offensive about the Haimer Universal or the Tschorn DREPlus here. The difference comes in the XY movement. The Haimer Universal and the Tschorn has a more mush damped feeling while the Haimer NG feels much more free. This however, doesn't seem to impact use in the machine.

I also find the Tschorn DREPlus easier to calibrate than the Haimer NG though I can't put my finger on why that would be. I can't speak for the Haimer Universal in this aspect.

The Tschorn requires less travel to reach zero which might speed things up, but also make it more vulnerable to overtravel.

I have never held the regular the Tschorn 3D Tasters (the DREPlus has a conical steel tip meant for use on a lathe, not a carbide ball), but something you might not have noticed from the product materials is that the ball on the Tschorn is significantly smaller diameter than those in the Haimers. 3mm vs 4mm (or 0.200"/5.08mm for the inch versions).

Another other difference is the Haimer NG (and presumably the universal) have a dial you can rotate to adjust though I do not know why you would ever use it. Seems like changing it would just get you in trouble. The Tschorn does not.

The Haimer NG has measurement graduations on the dial but the newer model Tschorns do not, but you can tell this from photos.

I thought I broke our Haimer NG last week and was excited to order a regular Tschorn 3D Taster to see what it was like, but unfortunately and fortunately, I managed to fix the issue so I cancelled the order for the Tschorn. It seemed something, probably coolant solidified in the bottom of the U-cup from the Haimer being stored upside down when in its CAT40 holder in the tool rack. I don't know why it happened now and never 3 years earlier. This caused the Haimer was sticking in all directions if you left it sitting for a couple of minutes without using it. It actually stuck so much that the probe broke on a Z-axis measurement. Since no support was available, I had nothing to lose so I took the rubber seal off, pushed the probe down and poured isopropyl alcohol into it and couple times and rinsed it out. That seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:
For some reason the Tschorn tasters in the latest Travers flyer are around $1k, which is about double the price of the Haimer in the same catalog. Typo?

Another ++ for the Tschorn over the Haimer. Better support in the US and Tachorn is a much more focused company. Haimer sort of treats the 3D Taster business as a side show (which is fair- it sorta is for them).

For some reason the Tschorn tasters in the latest Travers flyer are around $1k, which is about double the price of the Haimer in the same catalog. Typo?
I forgot about Travers. They are the exception. Don't get them from Travers. They are overpriced for many things. It's crazy. I've been getting my Tschorn stuff from https://cnctech-shop.com/. There also other online outfits in the Ontario area and they are all priced differently, but similarly, and all much cheaper than Travers.

EDIT: I looked around and it seems in some places, especially the larger, better known named distributors the Tschorns are even more expensive than the Haimers. I don't know what's up with that because from the smaller places the Tschorns are much cheaper. When I was looking for the Tschorn I didn't want to deal with cross-border shennanigans so was looking for a seller in Canada pretty much all the ones I found were cheaper, except for Travers Canada.

Last edited:
Tschorn makes a few different models which vary greatly in price. The $1k one at Travers is probably a model or two up from the entry level one.

I like Tschorn because of their longer, skinnier body. Seems easier to navigate around parts and fixtures than the shorter, blocky Haimer.

ToolCat

Tschorn makes a few different models which vary greatly in price. The $1k one at Travers is probably a model or two up from the entry level one.

I like Tschorn because of their longer, skinnier body. Seems easier to navigate around parts and fixtures than the shorter, blocky Haimer.

ToolCat
They make several models but the only Tschorn model that is more expensive than a Haimer from the reasonably priced places is the DREPlus which is meant for a lathe.

As of this writing, I can get
Haimer NG $609CAD
Tschorn V2 $455CAD
Tschorn VIplus $539 CAD (older model and has been superceded by the V2)

There's also a Tschorn SavePlus which is the economy model but it isn't sold by where I usually buy from. I can only find it for sale at the places where everything is expensive and at those places it is 3/4 the price of the V2. I don't know why the prices are all over the place.

It's true the Tschorn is thinner. It is also taller. I guess that's an advantage which I never needed. Until now I always thought the shorter height of the Tschorn was the advantage since you can work with taller pieces.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to try a Tschorn at a discount Euro-Tech is no longer going to carry them. They're selling remaining stock at a discount. One brand new in stock for $300 and a few refurbished ones at $200. I just picked up a refurb to keep as a spare.

About 2 months ago I bought a Haimer, it so much easier and faster then the mechanical .200" edge finder. With Haimer 80.360.00 it a once and done. Had considered the Haas model, I figured there must be something different for it too be that much less.

If anyone wants to try a Tschorn at a discount Euro-Tech is no longer going to carry them. They're selling remaining stock at a discount. One brand new in stock for $300 and a few refurbished ones at $200. I just picked up a refurb to keep as a spare.

Thanks for that.
Just bought a new Tschorn for $279.
Great deal, have a Haimer but was looking for a smaller profile instrument to make getting closer to part features , thanks.
Cheers Ross

If anyone wants to try a Tschorn at a discount Euro-Tech is no longer going to carry them. They're selling remaining stock at a discount.
Already out of stock on both remaining models. :-( Thanks for the heads-up. I should have visited PM Forums a few hours earlier!

Back