What's new
What's new

Hanging 4 axis off the table, dumb idea right?

Dicks4fingers

Aluminum
I have the idea to make an extension to bolt to the end of the table and mount the 4th axis to, to clear up more space on my table. how stupid is this idea? has anyone seen anything like the before?

doing this to a vf6

I’ve wanted to do this myself as well. It’d need to be a pretty thicc plate, especially depending on the size of your rotary. It may even be best to leave just a bit of the base over the table, rather than hang it all the way off, but you can still gain 4-8” this way depending.

No idea if it’s right or not, but I had kicked around the idea of either a 2” thick 6061 or 1.5” mild steel plate bolted down with 9 cap screws or so. Might work, might not. Haha.

One of my ideas was to leave bosses that would slide into the t slots and jack them to help. Not sure how easy that would be to keep flat though

One of my worries was literally just hanging a bunch of weight off where it was never meant to be. It's going to be a lot of weight

I made a base plate from 1 1/2" thick for the whole fixture, 18 x 42 to go on a 16 x 30 machine with the dual head rotary off the table on one side and bearing supports for the other end of the tombstone's off the other leaving me the whole 30" 's to make parts. It has been running since 2007, not a dumb idea at all

Back