What's new
What's new

Hardinge 4 Way Quick Change Tool Post - Model A vs L6-B

Smrtman5

Cast Iron
What (if any) is the difference between a Model A and an L6-B style quick change tool post? They look identical to me in size, function and mounting.

On a somewhat related topic, I thought Hardinge used to make a plate that mounted to the cross slide, that accepted a slightly different QC tool post or boring head block. Part number L4 or something like that?

I don’t know the answer to your first question, but do own a nice L6-B

The L-4 is a base for a rear mounted cross slide.

Yep That was the L4 base & slide I was thinking of. I guess the part numbering of L6 made me think it was supposed to fit on there.

Do you have to use the additional tool blocks (this listing for example: eBay Listing) for workpiece clearance, or can you mount tools directly into the L6-B QCTP? I would think those blocks are handy only for different sized square or round shanks.

I've only used mine with the tools mounted directly in the post.

Be careful if you do buy some of those blocks as there are two types for square tools. The ones with an A in their model number are for a different turret tool post. One that mounts on the compound slide.

The price on the one you linked to is quite high at $700. I've bought a few, including some that were quite clean for around $100. They don't seem to be very popular.

Good tip, I didnt know the A version was different.

Dont worry, I wasnt going to buy the $700 one, just the first thing that came up that was easy to link for reference.

Back