What's new
What's new

Hardinge Collet Closer

Jerrykromm

Plastic
I am looking to see if anyone has replaced the Hardinge collet closer #HGA0000006LCK with an after market unit. I would rather have options verses having to buy Hardinge only and I cant see paying 13k. Thank you in advance.

What machine is it on? A search of that code doesn't give many links apart from a collet closer kit on the Hardinge site at a whopping $17,563.00!

It a Hardinge GT built in 1995. Ya I was given two different quotes from them one for 13k and the second for 17K that one of the reasons I was hoping some has found an aftermarket that is equivalent

It is a pneumatic unit and the first thing we looked for was another manufacturer list on the unit

It is working but limping along at the moment, we are trying to get ahead of the game and have one on hand because I have two machines that use the same closer. They didn't offer anything when we asked for a rebuild kit.

Is it a Varigrip unit? I have one of those and I have a full set of seals ready for a potential rebuild, I didn't get them through Hardinge though, I found someone else who had rebuilt one and had listed all the sizes and quantities, think I spent sub £30 sourcing them all.

In terms of full units look at Microcentric, I seem to recall recently seeing a post in Instagram where someone had purchased one for what I think was a CHNC.

EDIT : It was a SNK Prodigy GT27 not a CHNC, still the same type of unit though and last time I looked Microcentric said they can provide adapters and bits to fit most machines, I'll be suprised if they haven't got experience adapting them for Hardinge lathes.

Dunham also make pneumatic collet closers, another one to look at.

Last edited:
check with Terry Iverson at Iverson and Co in Des Plaines IL, he may some used ones or be able to rebuild what you have. They were the Hardinge dealer for years in Chicago and they have or had a rebuilding company that specializes in rebuilding Hardinge products.

1674761240046.png

Just rebuilt mine. More than likely the 10-32 screws have backed off inside the aluminum body. Causing travel issues, hard to back off and loss of sealing at the brass check valves. Maybe even stoppage of all function. One 10-32 snapped off on mine. I was able to make a Bridgeport setup and drill out the screw with the tap drill. Saved the original threads enough to not have to heli-coil.
Use loctite at install.
These units Achilles heel are those damn 10-32's backing off and causing havoc inside the aluminum body. Had to make new brass check valves as well.

Attachments

• 20230129_085418.jpg
    20230129_085418.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230128_155822.jpg
    20230128_155822.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230318_003010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318_003010_Gallery.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Also,
You may get lucky and find the 10-32 screws have just loosened up some and only require tightening.
Got lucky with one years ago and that was the case.
I would say around 20 to 25K hours on the clock the closers should be taken apart and those 10-32 screws checked regardless of operation quality. Both my 1995 CHNC3's did the same backing off of the 10-32's.

We have rebuilt many of those style units over the years. While not always super cheap depending on the damage, it beats paying that oem price for sure.

On my 96 GT the collet closer lost holding tension and higher speeds. I bought the new Hardinge closer. I understood that it was built by Hardinge and the original was purchased by Hardinge from someone else. I did not pay anywhere near $17,000 for the new one, cannot remember what it was.
The old one is tucked away somewhere. Good to know it would be easy to fix if needed.

Back