What's new
What's new

Hardinge EZ-Vision, convert back to manual machine.

916DUC

Plastic
Hello, I have an EZ-Vison 3 axis machine from 2007 that has finally stuck on "X axis won't initialize". From what I have learned is that these are damn near impossible to service and get running reliably again. EMI does not service them. I am in the Northeast. So, the rest of the machine is as new condition as it has really only ever seen plastics in a prototype shop. I have a 3 axis EZ-Trak right next to it that I use daily and has not skipped a beat since I took delivery in 2001. So the Hardinge has seen little use. My question is how hard is it to get this back to running as a manual mill and can I do it without changing out the ball screws?

Or is any one interested in it that needs a good base to put a Centroid system on?

6qvoXkBg.jpgDiV27htg.jpgtIChxdwg.jpg

If you don't mind your housings remaining you can just remove the motors and use it as a manual machine. We have a machine here in our shop that we did the exact same thing with and put a Servo power feed on the X-axis. You can give me a call at the shop if you would like to discuss it over the phone.

The Bridgeport I un-cnc'd only required fitting handwheels and table locks, you already have handwheels. I love my manual mill with ballscrews.

Years ago I purchased a BP Line-A-Mill and had it working in my shop. The controller failed and I set out to make it a manual machine. You can certainly do that. I learned a few lessons along the way that I will share. I bought the Servo powerfeed and installed it on the X-axis. To do so involved removing the old servo, making an adapter shaft, and moving the thrust control from one end of the leadscrew to the other. I was pretty pleased with the conversion and just left the Y-axis is place (both axis had handwheels). Later, I figured out how to power the servo that I had left in place. It was really pretty simple and I ended up with a small control box with variable speed, a rapid traverse, and forward/reverse switch. The converted servo is quieter, smoother, and is a beautiful piece of work. I wish I had never bastardized the X-axis. It would have saved me a lot of work and money to just figure out how to power the existing servo's. The other thing to think about is that with ballscrews, you will really have to lock the fixed axis when you are machining. Those screws will allow the cutting forces to walk them right over. I still have, and use, my modified Line-A-Mill and wouldn't dream of trading it for a regular BP of the same vintage and condition.

Some good Ideas. I had not considered maybe replacing the servo drives with ones that I could use and set up as a power feed instead of a servo unit. Might have to look into that.

Some good Ideas. I had not considered maybe replacing the servo drives with ones that I could use and set up as a power feed instead of a servo unit. Might have to look into that.
I am interested in the control if you can part it out. I have sent you a PM a few days ago.

916DUC,
Just wondering if you ever got your machine up and running after you had the problem with the X axis?

Back