What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H brake solenoid

I have a HLV-H which is missing the complete brake shoe
I have a spare one from a butchered machine But the solenoid is burnt
Anyone here knows were to get a replacement Any voltage will do
Or as a alternative knows which force it generates so I can look for a replacement
Also need waywipers and the bolts for them

Peter

Pretty sure the solenoid pulls the brake away when the spindle is running and the spring pressure actually does the braking. If this is correct the voltage/pull just needs to overcome the spring pressure. There is a cobbled brake on my Tsugami chucker that just quit a couple of years ago. The original Tsugami brakes failed very soon after they were put into use. The cobbled one was held in place with a bent nail.
I just bought a set of wipers from Hardinge. Cost was about $145.USD. Do not buy 2 sets thinking you will replace the first when it wears out. By the time the first one wears out the second will be hard and brittle. Screws are 1/4 20 button head with a thin 1/2 OD washer. Probably 3/4 inch long.

When I said cobbled that is what I meant. Notice the nail, electrical tape and wiring outside the conduit. It was that way when I bought the lathe and the brake lasted 20 years for me. In the first shop I worked at they had 2 Tsugamis and both had already failed before I started. I am going to guess the first year that they had them. We used to throw them in reverse for dynamic breaking.

I just checked my HLV-H and the power does pull the brake free and braking is provided by the spring pressure.
Maybe the photo will give you some inspiration in finding a means to repair yours. Chucker and HLV-H brakes should be very similar.

Attachments

• TsugamiBrake.jpg
    TsugamiBrake.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 25
I have another solenoid now
https://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-solenoids/3584062/It just fits inside the cover of the brake
I mounted it on the backside of the cover
But it is noisy that way
What can be donne about that ???
I will try to bolt the cover to the base with a additional bolt
Would reducing the voltage help??
Or additional bolts to the stack of sheetmetals from the body ??
Epoxy it in ?? What epoxy then ?

Peter

Back