What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLVH E/M compound and cross dial covers frozen

dsatchell

Plastic
I have a ~1970 vintage that Ive been progressively restoring to working condition. Nearly everything short of the spindle was stuck/frozen with MWF. Fortunately once unstuck, it appears in great shape. One item I’ve not figured out are the cross and compound hand wheel indicator dial covers. This machine is an E/M and the covers appear pushed to a forward position. I know this because the ,meteric dials are covered with the cover in this position. I can’t tell if the cover is intended to slide or unscrew and have not found any type of locking pin.

any help would be much appreciated.

My E/M had some stiff / stuck dial covers. I Mine is a 79. Some Knock'er Loose will do the trick. Just keep spraying it and giving it a pull till to comes loose. Could take a couple days a spraying and messing with it but should do the trick. I probably wouldn't hit it with heat since I wouldn't want to mess the dials up.

My E/M had some stiff / stuck dial covers. I Mine is a 79. Some Knock'er Loose will do the trick. Just keep spraying it and giving it a pull till to comes loose. Could take a couple days a spraying and messing with it but should do the trick. I probably wouldn't hit it with heat since I wouldn't want to mess the dials up.
Not heat heat Just so you could still touch it With a hairdryer even

Peter

An aside: there are some platics that ethanol does dissolve - for example, the totally unobtainium bandswitch knob for a hallicrafters SX-28 radio. Just saying. Not that I'm bitter or anything....

Got it, I will continue with the solvents. So far all good with the other components, these are the last two items that are frozen. Now i know they should pull out, I’ll work them with the solvent.
thank you all!

Back