What's new
What's new

Hardinge T51 SP turret not indexing properly

SpinningParts33

Plastic
Hello.

I recently got a new job at a job shop running a Hardinge T51 super precision with the GE Fanuc 18t control. This machine will not drill for crap. Every hole is either over size or snaps the bit off. However, all of the cutting tools work perfectly fine. We finally got some down time to do maintenance and upon measuring the only thing off or out of alignment is the turret. It indexes to the correct tool, mostly on center with the spindle, but almost .02 too high. I believe in the past this machine was crashed by indexing a drill holder into the workpiece or tailstock and that pushed the turret out/up a little bit. I feel like I need to rotate the turret housing, or however it indexes, just a little. Does anyone know how to make that adjustment? Also, I'm not sure if this changes anything but it does have the live tooling option.

When you say it is to high do you mean it is off in the X axis direction or in the Y axis direction? X axis direction you can just change X axis offset for the centerline of the holder, if it is the Y axis directions and assuming you don't have Y axis the top plate needs to be rotated, if you have Y axis you can put a Y axis offset in for the station.

Tom

When you say it is to high do you mean it is off in the X axis direction or in the Y axis direction? X axis direction you can just change X axis offset for the centerline of the holder, if it is the Y axis directions and assuming you don't have Y axis the top plate needs to be rotated, if you have Y axis you can put a Y axis offset in for the station.

Tom
It's off in the y axis direction. There is no y axis adjustment that i can see. I will need to rotate the top plate. Serial number is CLT-306-CSP. Also what is the procedure/where can i find how to rotate the turret?

I believe you need to remove the tool stop ring, under this will be a numbere of socket head cap screws. Loosen them enough to rotate the topplate by hand and using a dial indicator move it until it is back on center. Tighten the cap screws back down to 25ft\lb. AS this is a live tooling machine you may want to run it by the service team at Hardinge. You can out in a request on the hardinge website or call 1-800-843-8801 and it will prompt you for the service team

link to service request section on website https://www.hardinge.com/customer-service/

Back