What's new
What's new

Hardinge Tool Holder Typically Missing Parts

Ronno6

Aluminum
Many, if not most Hardinge tool holders that I see for sale are missing important parts, such as block lock bolts, cam eccentric screws for locking those bots, wedges for D4/D9 etc. holders, and the posts,wasners and nuts for attaching D4 and D9 holder blocks to the riser,and so on....
Are these components easily lost or damaged?
Or, are most of these tool holders being scavenged from extra parts bins??

Sounds like they are being rescued from the scrap bin. I have lots of tools holders and they are all complete. Accidentally gave you a "like" I was reaching for my glasses and intending to hit the reply button.

I've also seen cases like this where someone is tasked with breaking down the job/machine for the final time, and due to inexperience or apathy they just drop all the little parts on the bench to be swept into the scrap bin later, while the "more important" cutters and holders are put back in stock. Nobody corrects it because the job/machine is heading out the door anyway.

I have three tool holders that need various parts - all need wedges. My holder is a Hardinge CC-13 and uses a wedge that is about 1 1/2 inches long. It's different than the D9 version.
I created a CAD model and got a quote from an online source that offers an "overseas" option - as normal the more you order the better the price. I also drew up a cup that is pressed onto a 1/4-28 AHCS that forms the adjusting screw. Those two items would cost $30 if 30 of each are ordered. expect an additional shipping charge.
I'll attach drawings that show the pieces. The thin washer that is used to clamp the wedge is available from McMaster and would need to be bent.
Local shops would probably not be able to meet the cost of "overseas" vendors but I can share models. My experience with the "overseas" vendors has been very positive - there have been problems but were always handled with positive outcomes.
If this sounds like it may be of interest I would welcome questions comments. I'm in no rush and would provide a firm commitment for qty 3. So only 27 to go...9-)

Attachments

• Hardinge Wedge screw Drawing v4.pdf
    259.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Wedge cc-13 Drawing v12.pdf
    168.9 KB · Views: 5
I recently posted for sale on the Hardinge Lathe Group site a group of 4 1/2" wedges, 2 3/8" wedges and one adjusting screw for the chucker tool CC-13 through CC-16. They are NOS and available as a lot, not separately. These wedges are too short (1-1/2") for the tool holders used on the DV/DSM/HLV/TFB, though the screw might fit either size holder.

Larry

DSC03415.JPG

DSC03416.JPG

Back