What's new
What's new

Harig 612 - roller ways damaged during transportation

I have a Kent manual with ball ways at home. Great for my home shop. I can take a pretty heavy cut with it but not in the climbing direction. I hate using the one at work with v ways. But it does grind a little smoother. Probably damps vibration more. It sits most of the time so it takes quit awhile to get the oil spread. and needs a lot of effort all the time. Fortunately we have a hydraulic grinder for most projects.

Would rollers be better than ball ways? More surface area.

Dave

QT Winger (Would rollers be better than ball ways? More surface area.)
Yes IMHO roller could be better.
Just my opinion but I think ball and ball and rollers would be better if all openings were better sealed. If I designed a grinder I would have a wick seal on the column side of the long travel table, that is where I place a strip of tape to keep grits out..
Many ball way machines I have taken apart have abrasive grits in the ball way area
I think iron-scraped and plastic-scraped ways give a better finish.

This in their free state vs needles vs balls vs normal or turk/moglice.
Slip stick and the deflection on reversal?
Wear and it's fun. How many of the bearings are actually in contact at any one time ball or roller?
All these bearing things skid at first movement and do the creep towards one end over time. How often to reseat or home them?
Ease of use and not making one arm bigger than the other.?
Tracking flat on both directions or square in a keyway type grind?
Cold start performance vs many warm up cycles?
So many questions. It will drive you into crazy land.
Bob

You might show a photo of the long travel bed way, who knows what may have been done?
the oil detents I am speaking are just flaking, somewhat like scraping scrapes, that are intended to process the oiling of the ways.
Sorry, it took me a while as the machine is staying at the moment in different place from where I live.

Attachments

• IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 25
Is that AFTER a rescrape? Looks like new, stone, clean. Put it together without rollers, done.
(Going back to rollers would require a complete regrind and rescrape, so…. Big no on that)

Last edited:
Hi Wiktor,

I just thought I'd attach photos of the ways of a Super 612 I'm in the process of saving from the scrap yard. It was tipped over a long time ago, and collected dust for decades. A friend graciously gifted it to me recently, to let me have a try at fixing it.
Jim Seyller( the Harig parts guy https://www.harigtechsupport.com ) looked at these photos, and assured me that they are as they left the factory, and look virtually unworn.
Also note, the ways on the underside of the table on this grinder are hard chromed, and noted as so, with a label on the front of the table.
It'll give you something to compare your ways to. Good luck with the repairs. Almost done with mine, and looks promising so far.
IMG_0270 copy.jpg
IMG_0271 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0270 copy.jpg
    IMG_0270 copy.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 3
Oh yes, Jeff, those definitely look like they haven't seen much use.

The earlier pictures from Wiktor almost look like someone got after the ways with a grinder and gouged them up...

Oh yes, Jeff, those definitely look like they haven't seen much use.

The earlier pictures from Wiktor almost look like someone got after the ways with a grinder and gouged them up...
The original owners( the University of AK ) of my 612 must have tipped it over soon after getting it. The paint on the shield at the end of the table is barely pitted up. Figured the way photos would show Wiktor what factory new scraping should look like. Like you, it looks to me like someone has already laid hands on his ( which may explain why it had the roller kit on it ).

Once I finish this one, I'll do a little thread on it. I just need to finish making new doors for the combo base cabinet/dust collector. One of the doors was missing, so I'm making them both, so they match. Then a finish grind on the chuck, and it should be ready for use.

The original owners( the University of AK ) of my 612 must have tipped it over soon after getting it. The paint on the shield at the end of the table is barely pitted up. Figured the way photos would show Wiktor what factory new scraping should look like. Like you, it looks to me like someone has already laid hands on his ( which may explain why it had the roller kit on it ).

Once I finish this one, I'll do a little thread on it. I just need to finish making new doors for the combo base cabinet/dust collector. One of the doors was missing, so I'm making them both, so they match. Then a finish grind on the chuck, and it should be ready for use.
Thank you! Yours looks really nice.
I will try to use mine as it is (after deep cleaning and stoning the ways) and see how it works. It seems to me that someone tried to make oil pockets with angle grinder...

Back