What's new
What's new

Has any one seen a smaller knee mill like this one? Samson JRH-33?

hurrydive

Plastic
This is for sale locally near me. I’m intrigued. Runs on 120 appatently. Can’t get much info from the seller. About an hour and a half from me, so any info would help me decide if it’s worth the drive. It looks like an old clausing, but defiantly its own breed.thanks for looking. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread.

Attachments

• 26AAA735-3E5A-4658-BD5D-895204E2488E.jpeg
    26AAA735-3E5A-4658-BD5D-895204E2488E.jpeg
    992.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 7EACDB0D-704D-4D29-833B-3C66F39C927A.jpeg
    7EACDB0D-704D-4D29-833B-3C66F39C927A.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 127
From what I can see in your pictures that looks a lot like one of the Taiwanese mills that were imported starting in the mid 1970s and similar ones are still available today under various badged names.
Similar to those sold in Canada in this link
and this one from a Google search where they a poster mentions one by Jet that was a popular brand in Canada and the U.S.A.
The more recent versions may now come from China, but I can't say for sure.
There were several variations in these machines with some having Morse spindle tapers and other with an R8 Taper.
They were also advertised in Model Engineer and sold under a number of names in the U.K.
I seem to recall some with a Myford badge on them.
I have seen one or two in the flesh but never operated one so can't add anything more than that right now.
Jim

Last edited:
never seen one but i have a old enco that is very small knee mill and oddly i like using. i would bet i use it more then the regular size bridgeport. ?
just like it

Back in the late 1970's - early 1980's I remember seeing made-in-Taiwan lathes branded Samson. If you google "Samson lathes" you'll see some examples. Sizes seem to run from 10 to 13 inch swing, maybe more. I'm with Jim, my hunch is this is from Taiwan.

Potentially confusing is the fact that "Samson" is a brand name used by multiple machine tool builders. Google also turned up a Taiwanese machine tool builder Samson Machinery but their company history shows they didn't start until 1990. And then I came across a made-in-India VTL branded "Samson."

David

Last edited:
This is for sale locally near me. I’m intrigued. Runs on 120 appatently. Can’t get much info from the seller. About an hour and a half from me, so any info would help me decide if it’s worth the drive. It looks like an old clausing, but defiantly its own breed.thanks for looking. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread.
As mentioned, JET sold a similar machine. Dah Li made them at the time.
I have the next one up, smaller than a BP, larger than the tool pictured. Simple head, (no built in power down feed) Box ways and power to the Long axis.

From what I can see in your pictures that looks a lot like one of the Taiwanese mills that were imported starting in the mid 1970s and similar ones are still available today under various badged names.
Similar to those sold in Canada in this link
and this one from a Google search where they a poster mentions one by Jet that was a popular brand in Canada and the U.S.A.
The more recent versions may now come from China, but I can't say for sure.
There were several variations in these machines with some having Morse spindle tapers and other with an R8 Taper.
They were also advertised in Model Engineer and sold under a number of names in the U.K.
I seem to recall some with a Myford badge on them.
I have seen one or two in the flesh but never operated one so can't add anything more than that right now.
Jim
Rad! Thanks Jim!

Back in the late 1970's - early 1980's I remember seeing made-in-Taiwan lathes branded Samson. If you google "Samson lathes" you'll see some examples. Sizes seem to run from 10 to 13 inch swing, maybe more. I'm with Jim, my hunch is this is from Taiwan.

Potentially confusing is the fact that "Samson" is a brand name used by multiple machine tool builders. Google also turned up a Taiwanese machine tool builder Samson Machinery but their company history shows they didn't start until 1990. And then I came across a made-in-India VTL branded "Samson."

David
I’ll look into it!

Here are a couple of links from Tony's site about the similar machines that were imported into the U.K.
There may have been more than one company making very similar machines in Taiwan that may have been copied or cloned from an existing machine made in the U.S.A., U.K. or Europe so no guarantee that the machine in your pictures is exactly the same and no doubt there were small changes made over time.
Myford
EME
Jim

Here are a couple of links from Tony's site about the similar machines that were imported into the U.K.
There may have been more than one company making very similar machines in Taiwan that may have been copied or cloned from an existing machine made in the U.S.A., U.K. or Europe so no guarantee that the machine in your pictures is exactly the same and no doubt there were small changes made over time.
Myford
EME
Jim
Rad! Thanks for the info! Reading through it now!

Definitely one of the asian import mills, an older one.
It may be one of the larger 8x30 variety - Much better than the more common 6x26 size.

I believe it started with Johansson milling machines.
Then the Clausing 8520 was a copy.
Then someone put a Bridgeport M-Head on a Clausing 8520.
Then Tawain made their rip off copy.
And others followed.
Not a bad mill for the size.
I have an original Clausing 8520 that I grafted the Bridgeport
M-Head using an adapter plate. My mill has table travels of
just under 5" x 15". I sometimes have to move the ram in or
out because of the small 5" cross travel. I run a 5" vise, and
I have the ram set so I can edge find the stationary jaw with
only a little to spare.
These import machines should be pretty nice.
I believe they even expanded the travels a bit.
I have seen 6x16 and 8x18 inch travels.
The Big Green Bear sells a few nice models,
that are I think made in Tawain.

--Doozer

Back