What's new
What's new

Head locked down on SB 10L are stripping and clean

Abody711

Plastic
I stripped down the Head on my SB 10L. Purpose was a good cleaning after many years. Turned freely before the work. I made sure to pay attention to stetting aside all shims. No parts were replaced. Tightening down either spindle results in a locked spindle. Made sure the expanders are facing the correct way. After being sure the bearing were correctly aligned with oiler capillary hole, I put on the bearing cap. Next start the expander screw in the expander. Then place the bearing cap bolts in and tighten them down followed by tightening the expander screws. Any ideas?

It only takes a little bit of 'stuff' between the shims in a stack to make it a thou bigger. If it was dirty when you took it apart, and you cleaned everything, then the stack is now too tight. Adjust as required...

I took the bearing caps apart twice more and reinstalled. The third time was a charm. I never found any foreign debris or anything interfering. I am going to take it and be happy. Thanks for the advice.

Same basic thing just happened to me on teardown. Same shims, no modifications/changes, thrust set correctly, just a teardown and re-assembly. I think in my case it was how the front bearing expander brass piece was clocked. There's just a little "wiggle" room to move it left/right (circumferentially) while still being able to thread in the two small expander screws. Clocking it just right fixed the issue for me.

I assume you got this right/know this but it's also important to be ABSOLUTELY SURE the bearing caps themselves are fully seated before installing and tightening the fasteners.

Back