What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 mounting

jkl

Plastic
I am chasing small vibrations on my heavy 10 when cutting. I bolted it to the concrete floor and I think it has more vibration than before I anchored the lathe.

Here is the question should I go to the rubber isolation feet and not bolt the lathe to the floor? I have seen several pictures on casters, rubber feet and bolted down. Lets see where this one goes.

John

Mine was shimmed to level then I tightened up the bolts. It just has a slightly different sound now that it is bolted down and it doesn't cut as smooth as before I attached it to the floor.

It is a new rebuild and it is running great no issues other than this small problem.

John

My 10K ran perfect when it was just sitting on my concrete floor in my garage. Then i moved it inside and bolted to to the floor and now i have some vibrations. Pretty soon i will move it to a better section of floor where it will sit unbolted. My problem is the floor slopes to a floor drain and the lathe walked to the drain hole so i had to bolt it down. I have removed the Hilti nuts so the lathe really just has pins keeping it in place and the vibrations went away...Bob

I will remove the nuts and let the lathe set on the shims and see if this cures my problem. I will keep everyone posted.

John

If you are using a 1 phase motor instead of a 3 phase it will have more vibration.

I have a 1964 10L that I put a 1 phase motor on. The welded steel stand resonated and made so much noise I removed and took apart the motor twice before I learned that 1 phase motors have more vibration.

Like a 3 cylinder engine is smoother than 1 cylinder.

I am ignoring the racket until I get a VFD and put the 3 phase back in.

Paul

Mine is a 1963 single phase with the cabinet that is open channel on the tail stock side. I have thought a bout a 3 phase and a drive I just wasn't sure about the over all success. I have some equipment for my company that is run by an adjustable phase converter and I wouldn't have that equipment any other way.

John

Motors with welded on bases are noiser than cradle base motors that have rubber rings to support the motor. My early 40's 10L is on a pipe cabinet, the motor has a welded on base. It is quite noisy from the motor vibration. I have it sitting on 4" or so blocks and shimmed level sitting on a concrete floor. I have never had any problem with finish cuts, even with the noise.
Bill

i had the same problem w/ my 10K UMD- ran super smooth until i bolted it down. then i drove myself crazy trying to get the vibration out, eventually i just unbolted it and it has been fine since.

Results!

Removed the nuts and check the levelness with my precision level.
Ran several finish cuts and smooth as silk what a difference.

John

Hi John --

Very interesting thread, so thanks for sharing the initial concern as well as your latest results.

Could I ask a more mundane question about what type of anchor bolts you selected for your concrete installation ? I was planning to use a masonry drill to set anchor bolts into the concrete blocks on which my Heavy 10 is now sitting. But based on your findings, best practice appears to be not tightening down the nuts. Am I correct in thinking that rules out those "expanding" types of masonry anchor bolts that rely on tightening down the nuts to expand and actually *anchor* the bolt inside the hole in the masonry? Hence my interest in the approach you took as far as the anchors themselves are concerned. (I'm thinking I'd still be much better off with bolts through the holes in the lathe pedestal and legs, even without the nuts being tightened down, in order to prevent the lathe from "walking off" my concrete blocks during a prolonged earthquake).

Thanks again for sharing,

-- Jim

Jim, you can tighten up the wedge anchors to seat them and then take the nuts of and they'll remain in place. If you're only counting on them to keep your lathe from walking, then it shouldn't matter if they're wedged or not.

I had my old lathe on concrete blocks on a dirt floor. I am much happier now that I dug a hole and poured a proper foundation. Vibration can move your blocks as well as your machine.

Back