What's new
What's new

Heavy Iron still in use in Belle Chase, Louisiana

Another I found pretty interesting as looks like a giant jig borer, is a Giddings & Lewis 350T, part of what they called their Horizontal boring, Drilling and Milling Machine line.

I looked and found the catalog for this line on Vintage Machinery:
Giddings & Lewis Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - Horizontal Boring, Drilling & Milling Machines - Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

The PDF:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2282/23530.pdf

The cover and some specs on the 350T:

59.jpg 60.jpg

Some pics of the shipyard's machine. Its a beast, specs say it weighs in at 34,000lbs :

52.jpg 53.jpg

Thanks for the thread! It's always fun to see manual machines in the industrial wild.

OT, but what kind of lumber are the duck-boards made from? I've been needing to make some to replace a few rubber livestock mats that always curl and melt when they get cutting fluids on them for too long. We have lots of pine 1x4, but I don't know if I should hold out and get some hardwood?

OT, but what kind of lumber are the duck-boards made from? I've been needing to make some to replace a few rubber livestock mats that always curl and melt when they get cutting fluids on them for too long. We have lots of pine 1x4, but I don't know if I should hold out and get some hardwood?

I don't know. My guess is pine or fir, nothing too expensive, but I'm really not sure.

I didn't get to spend too much time at the machine shop there. Once the boat was ready, we had a pair of main propulsion engines to swing. These are Cummins KTA38's. They're a V12 diesel engine.

61.jpg 62.jpg 63.jpg

We can see the engine beds here, with engines removed. Marine gears stayed in place, so wheel shaft alignment and gear alignment remain intact. Only need to align engine to the marine gear during the installation:

64.jpg 65.jpg

The old engines removed and set off to the side for the time being:

66.jpg 67.jpg

One of the new engines getting unwrapped and prepped for crane service back into the boat:

68.jpg

There is a 25N I did get some pics of. From 1953, top end 405rpm. One interesting thing it has two Monarch data tags. Not sure the purpose of the 2nd tag, but I'm curious the "Spec Mil-L" in the label.

View attachment 328073 View attachment 328074 View attachment 328075 View attachment 328076

The second tag was required by the Government contract. Newer Serial number plates was taller and had fields for this info. Interesting picture as I never seen the blank tag that was then filled in before.

Back