What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Antique Industrial Table

Tx2020

Plastic
Hi all-
I recently picked up this table from a neighbor who left it behind after their move. I’m curious if anyone has seen something like this before. There are no stamps, dates, or marking otherwise. The table base has a double “d” ended rectangular opening possibly for a shaft? And the table top has a perimeter trough channel to catch liquid which slopes to a spigot on one end. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.046C78C2-0E97-4AB5-A3AB-6EC260DB554A.jpeg210F6409-BA29-41C4-B081-B6AE7AA1E266.jpeg

This is purely a WAG (wild-ass guess) on my part, just letting my imagination go with what the clues the pictures provide.

Whatever the stand was built for, it was a lighter-duty piece of equipment judging by the legs. The spout on the top might be a clue that a press (or other piece of equipment) for extracting a liquid was mounted on the top. The 'double D" boss in the bottom shelf and the holes in the bottom shelf support that same theory. A press with a gear-tooth rack or a press screw with two flats that needed to extend down from the top of the base when in use might be a possibility. The "double D" geometry of the hole could allow either a rack or a screw with two flats on it (to keep it from turning, same idea as the moveable jaw on a pipe wrench) to pass thru the 'shelf'.

The fact the 'shelf' has so many holes in it also is a clue that whatever the base was used for involved a liquid. Whatever the piece of equipment was, it was used for something that might get sloppy and have whatever liquid was being pressed dripping down onto the shelf. Whatever the liquid was, the designers of the equipment did not want it accumulating on the shelf.

The equipment that was mounted on the base likely did not require the persons using it to pull hard on levers (as with a hand operated press), given the design of the legs. The legs do not appear to extend too far beyond the perimeter of the top casting, nor do they have any flat pads for bolting the base to the floor. I do see what looks like a smaller diameter hole on the 'apex' of the flared-out bottom of one leg, but this would not give a really solid anchorage if pulling hard on a lever to operate the equipment was required.

Possible thoughts: might have been a light-duty press for seating lids on cans (such as used to hold paint and other liquids). This type lid is called a 'friction lid'. Rather than have someone smacking lids to seat and seal them with a mallet (and risking denting the cans), a light-duty press might have been used. If the cans were containing some liquid such as paint, varnish, lubricants, or perhaps honey (years ago, honey was sold by larger producers in the same type cans as paint), then the base of the hand press would have a spout for carrying off any spillage.

The fact the "D" hole in the boss in the shelf is offset from the center of the top speaks of a light duty press. Something on the order of a 'bottle capper', only built a bit heavier for handling maybe 1 gallon steel cans. The spout was not intended to be part of any actual process, but simply to route any spillage to a bucket or other catchment rather than let it accumulate and slop over the edge of the top of the base.

Very well thought out and the logic follows. I searched Google for similar vintage machine stands but had no luck. I’m planning to keep it and maybe clean up the base and powder coat it. And I agree a glass top is really the only way to preserve the details of the trough. I’ll update this thread when I make more progress. Thank you taking the time to think through it.

If you're going to clean it up, no need for the expense of powder coating - Kind of overkill for that thing.
Just wire wheel the grunge off and paint it with Rustoleum flat or satin black. OR, clean it down to bare metal as well as you can, and clear coat it or wipe it with boiled linseed oil, for the "old iron" look.

I bet it's someting farm or agriculture related. Maybe try asking a "whatzit" question w/ pictures on a tractor forum. Or other board where there might be a greater population of folks who have been exposed to farming & agriculture. And may be able to aid in identifying.

highly unlikely to be bookbinding with the trough, agree the basic structure doesn't seem to suggest an extraction press, or any high force press.
interested to see what comes up!

I'd be hesitant to say the base was for either an olive oil press nor a grape or cider press. It may be a stretch to go with the base as having been for a Cream Separator. The hand driven cream separators were self-contained, having spouts off the various stages or bowls. These were made of either tin-plated brass (in the pre-stainless steel days), or stainless steel. The separators usually were on a more substantial base, since the user had to crank hard, and there was a high speed rotating mass inside the separator. To dampen out any vibration from slight imbalance in the separator, as well as to allow the user to crank without the separator wanting to move, separator bases were usually a good bit heavier. Two points strike me as weighing against the base being from a cream separator. The "Double D" hole in the boss in the lower shelf does not correlate to anything projecting off the bottom of a cream separator. The other matter is the finish and design of the base. A power driven cream separator, as used in a small creamery or dairy, would have had a glazed enamel finish, rather than the rough castings. White vitreous enamel would have been typical on sanitary equipment for food processing in the pre-stainless steel days.

Whatever kind of press was mounted on this base was something using only one means of compressing the mechanism. I.E., that 'D' shaped hole in the boss cast into the lower shelf is the clue that whatever this was had only one geared rack (ram ) or screw. That would mean a light duty press mechanism, and it could have been used in any number of industries' processing equipment meant for small batches and maybe hand operation.

Every Cracker Barrel restaurant I've seen (I've seen plenty) has a cream separator outside, Various makers.
I don't cast iron and sanitary food handling play well together.
Unless some industrial or rural/farm life historian happens by here, it all just a guess.

Back