What's new
What's new

Help identifying old fixture

Matt52

Plastic
Hello folks. I have what I assume is an old fixture of some kind. I'd just like to know what it is, what it was for and if it's worth trying to get it in the hands of someone who could use it, if it's not too far gone, anyhow. I kind of doubt it is. It may just needsome TLC. No markings what-so-ever on the piece. Micrometer adjustment/gauging of some sort. A little background- my grandfather was a tool and die machinist and hobby gunsmith. I purchased his house after he passed away and found this in the attic of his old shop. I've kept it for a long time, not having the heart to part with it, for more reasons than one. Any way, any insight or history of this neat old piece would be really cool. I tried to identify once before on a different forum about 10 years ago, with no luck. 20221206_113318.jpg20221206_113347.jpg

It is a very nice whatsit!
I woiuld like to know what is attached to the knob that protrudes from the tapered bushing. Is the bar hollow all the way through? Size of through-hole?
That tapered bushing reminds me of many I have made to guide reamers for align-reaming....Micrometer.....gunmithing......makes me think of precisely measuring sight height so as to allow adjustment with less test-firing..

Looking again I now see something protruding at both ends...What do the pieces look lke all disassembled?

It's been positively identified as a manual "line boring machine" or "boring bar machine". Thanks so much for your interest!

For what?
If it's specific to a certain piece of equipment or product, that I'm not sure of, I dont think it is, but, I think an appropriate example would be any rough cast metal hole (maybe like an excavator bucket...) it would bore it to its finished diameter. Best of my research anyhow, and examples that were presented to me on the other forum.

Back