What's new
What's new

Help identifying this equipment . I bought this at a garage sale for 20.00

Yes, a wire straightener! A wonderful thing when you need one. You feed wire coming off a spool through it and, with proper adjustment, it come out with no curl. Not cheap if you need to buy one.

Thanks so much , weighs about 40 lb . Not sure if I will ever use . Couldn’t resist for 20.00

You should try it with some galv steel fence wire, once you see it’s results I’m betting you will never scrap it, it’s so impressive to have a perfectly straight rod out of a coil of wire! You might not use it again though.
You can use them on tube too, like brake pipe
Mark

I'd like to have that...but I also admit if I had it I would use it once every few years and eventually it would get buried under other junk and I'd be too lazy to dig it out.

Many years ago, I used to buy stuff at a hobby store. They had many sizes of one foot lengths of brass tubing and small pieces of sheet brass suited to the sort of stuff I did. But one product that is relevant to this thread was three foot straight lengths of music wire in various diameters. It was handy stuff for many jobs. When I built my spring winding tool, I bought music wire in the little yellow boxes, all coiled up, which was OK for making coil springs. But there must still be some demand for straight music wire and a straightener is the only way to do it yourself.

Larry

I had an old rancher that was building barbed wire cattle gates to pull on it with pickup to stretch a long piece of wire till it yielded a bit. Then he cut it into pieces to make gate and it would stay straight And not try to coil back up.

If you do any tig welding spool wire is easy to get and hard to use unless it is straight.

I use safety wire pliers to twist the MIG wire after clipping a length off the spool to straighten it. Hold one end in the vise, the other end with the pliers and give it several twists. Yielding the wire just a bit keeps it straight.

Many years ago, I used to buy stuff at a hobby store. They had many sizes of one foot lengths of brass tubing and small pieces of sheet brass suited to the sort of stuff I did. But one product that is relevant to this thread was three foot straight lengths of music wire in various diameters. It was handy stuff for many jobs. When I built my spring winding tool, I bought music wire in the little yellow boxes, all coiled up, which was OK for making coil springs. But there must still be some demand for straight music wire and a straightener is the only way to do it yourself.

Larry
All respect, Larry, not true. Here is a simple way to make straight wire from all bent up wire. Catch one end of the wire you want to straighten in a vise. Tighten it securely. Now get out a cordless drill and chuck the other end of the wire. Pull pretty hard, then turn the drill on for a few seconds. This will perfectly straighten wire.

You actually don't even need to twist it. If you can pull hard enough to yield the length of wire, it will be darn near dead straight. The key in how well this works is how uniform its cross section is along the length. Works great for short sections.

Back