What's new
What's new

Help me spend $75k for my dream machine shop...

funny thing is you can often get a cnc mill for less than half the price of a conventional (e.g fp4).

Interesting! I did a quick search for used FP4’s and you’re correct, they were around half what a new conventional mill costs. However, if you go CNC, you’ve got to learn the code.... What’s the easiest way to learn the code? Is there an online course, manufacturers classes or other options?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Hello VAE,

Thanks for your comments... I have thought about buying the same equipment I used back in the day, but I would really like a universal mill if I can fit it in my available space. A lathe with easier threading capabilities would be nice as well. :-)

Cheers!

The best method of acquisition is to work off a wish list, which you must be prepared to change over time as your knowledge increases. The purchases you make should be based on opportunity and price more than anything else. Buying new is almost always wrong. The best deals are auctions, deaths and bankruptcies. Chase those. This quest is fun, do not deny yourself. To do this you must have your shop space ready and cash in hand. Try to buy well tooled old quality iron. Do not be in a rush! Remember also that these machines must be fed with material, so you will also need material storage, a horizontal band saw to cut your stored material. Much of what you will be doing will be doing fabrication as well, so you will need a vertical band saw, plasma cutter and welding equipment. As a hobbyist you will be using HSS tools much more than carbide and you will need to grind your own form tools, so you will need tool grinding machines and stone dressers. The list goes on. This shop will never be plug & play. You will build this over time. That too is part of the hobby.

Tot he original poster:

Attorney here with extensive bankruptcy experience. This poster is giving you good advice. You're in Texas, there are no shortage of bankruptcy attorneys who could help you find the right liquidation sales if you find difficulty with that. A lot of great equipment (and real estate, collectibles, etc.) can be purchased out of bankruptcy sales for a fraction of their cost elsewhere.

Budgeting $75,000 for tools without a good idea of what you really need is just asking to get ripped off.

Thanks for the reply!

Tot he original poster:

Attorney here with extensive bankruptcy experience. This poster is giving you good advice. You're in Texas, there are no shortage of bankruptcy attorneys who could help you find the right liquidation sales if you find difficulty with that. A lot of great equipment (and real estate, collectibles, etc.) can be purchased out of bankruptcy sales for a fraction of their cost elsewhere.

Budgeting $75,000 for tools without a good idea of what you really need is just asking to get ripped off.

I had not thought of getting equipment from a bankruptcy sale... Another option to investigate!

Cheers!

Well, lots of blokes add accessories or customise cars that are still under warranty. It’s a multi-billion dollar industry. :-)

Cheers!
You could also learn glass blowing and add some neon lighting under the running boards.
Just ribbing you a bit.
Good luck and Cheers.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking at used machinery sites for a lathe, mill and a surface grinder. It must be good in the used machinery business these days, because out of more than a dozen queries for more information on various equipment listed for sale, only one dealer ever responded with a quote...

I think they must be selling equipment so fast that they just can’t keep up with the demand. Good for them and I wish them continued success! I’m going to concentrate on auctions and bankruptcy sales going forward for used equipment. Failing that, I’ll be looking at new equipment as every single new equipment dealer I’ve contacted thus far has promptly responded with quotes and additional info.

My used machinery quest reminds me of looking for a classic car, lots of work to find a cherry example - but it’s worth the wait!

Cheers!

Keep in mind that dealers seldom respond to emails. You need to call and get to a human. Even then it is hard to find dealers who will give hard data on machines. I talked to at least a dozen about a surface grinder and only one would give me a test for accuracy. Most just said it grinds very flat. Dave

Thanks for your reply...

Keep in mind that dealers seldom respond to emails. You need to call and get to a human. Even then it is hard to find dealers who will give hard data on machines. I talked to at least a dozen about a surface grinder and only one would give me a test for accuracy. Most just said it grinds very flat. Dave

Thanks for your comments. If they don’t want to reply via email, why do they have an email reply form and solicit email enquiries? If phone calls are their only contact preference, why have an email form for additional information? They can run their business any way they want of course, but IMHO, it’s illogical to solicit email enquiries and then ignore the requests.

Cheers!

I agree but also suspect they get a million inquiries for price and the success rate for a sale is small compared to phone contact. I own an accounting business and my minimal website does not show an email but I had to argue with the site host to exclude it. Dave

It depends on who the email is FROM.

My son makes the final "which machine is best?" decision for his company. Budget is 7 figures per year. They answer his emails immediately.

When he goes to IMTS, the vendors all stop what ever they are doing and talk to him.

In other words, anybody in sales learns who the whales are and target them.

I used to have a small thing at closing sales........have a look at the bench grinders.......if the wheels are worn down inside the washers...then the place was really flat broke ,and everything is neglected and run without repair.

Well I'm getting there with my shop.
I bought a Rapidor power hacksaw back in late 70's, that I've moved 5 times as I've moved from UK to Canada, to US, to Oklahoma, then back to the USA, and where I live now. No idea on age, but it has Whitworth bolts on it.
Just cut through 4.5" dia cast iron bar, that took over an hour with an old blade.
A 1972 vintage Harrison 21" x 80" lathe in great shape. (an upgrade from a tired 17" x 60" Mazak)'
A 90's BP clone. (upgrade from an original worn out BP).
A 1996 Mazak VTC-20.
A lovely Mubea 55 ton ironworker.
And most recently a an Elliott T&C grinder with a 1981 date on the invoice.
I was surprised when I realized how much of this stuff came from UK.
Whole lot cost me about $20k.
"But please don't let my wife sell it for what I told her it cost me !"
Bob

Back